Making Good First Impressions with Professors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If college came with a manual such as a guide to having a successful four years, the time spent there would make your life that much easier. If a manual actually existed, there would have to be an entire volume dedicated to first impressions. Making a good first impression is key to starting college off right, but the most important impression you will have to give is to your professors.

No matter what size school you go to, your professor is the one who will be giving you your grades. Making a good first impression will make that little difference in how the rest of the semester will go for you. There are three key points to starting out the semester right: being on time, paying attention, and actually communicating with your professor. Each of these points will guide you to a successful relationship and a comfortable environment in the classroom.

1. Being on time to class is not just a way to make a good impression, but also a courtesy point. Walking into a class even three minutes late can be offensive and may be disrespectful to a professor. Their time is just as valuable to them as your time is valuable to you. A professor does not want to be interrupted in the middle of a lecture with a student creaking open the door, walking around the room, and rummaging through their backpack in dead silence because that student was not responsible enough to show up to class on time. You might want to consider being five to 10 minutes early as well. If a class is scheduled to start at 11:00 am, the professor is going to start at 11:00 am.

2. It goes without saying that paying attention to someone talking is common knowledge. If you wanted to stand out to your professor though, giving them your full attention is key. Making eye contact, being engaged physically, and answering any questions they ask the class will let your professor know you mean business when taking their class. Showing a professor you actually enjoy their class will most certainly build a relationship with them along with the fact you will be learning.

3. Communicating with your professor goes beyond asking when a deadline is or letting them know you will be late for class. To give a good first impression, walk into class the first day and either before or after class, introduce yourself to the professor in a personal yet professional manner. Maybe explain why you are taking said class to let the professor know more about yourself. Nothing bad has ever come from introducing yourself to someone, so do not be afraid to do it with a professor. Giving them the face-to-face interaction will help make your name stick in their head and it will show the mature, responsible side of you as a student.

Making a good first impression with professors will help build relationships and even down the road help with networking. A professor in college can help prepare you for the life that comes after the four years in a classroom. Taking the time to understand the class and the professor teaching is going to create an easier process for you to handle.

A communications major with a minor in event management at Lasell College. Grew up on Cape Cod.