Kyle’s Korner: Where the Heck Are Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj on Instagram?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Out of all the things I should be doing in the morning, I spend half my time laying in bed and looking at Snapchat stories. I look at celebrity stories (mostly just the Kardashians) and Youtube Beauty Gurus and then flip through a few news stories. Of course, by news I mean Daily Mail, People, and Cosmopolitan, not the Washington Post. I also watch this fun, quick video news report from E! News called The Rundown. This show is hosted by Erin Lim, who’s adorable and funny, and involves three or four different celebrity stories, sometimes involving an interview.

One day a week or two ago, I was watching the story and Lim pointed out something very important to the world of pop culture: Ariana Grande has not posted on Instagram since last year. After going over this story, Lim dropped in at the end, “where is Nicki, too?” This caused me to immediately look at Grande and Minaj’s profile, and they have not posted since December 31, 2017. Funny enough, Ariana captioned her last post, “see you next year”. Well Ari, it’s next year, where you at?

Grande’s Last Instagram Post

Since Lim shared this information with me, Grande has been back on social media (strictly Instagram stories, though) and has been shot by paparazzi out and about with killer platinum blonde hair. It’s a known fact that Grande is working on music, so maybe she is detaching from social media to focus on music?

Nicki has not been seen on Instagram since December 30, 2017. Something interesting I also recently noticed is Minaj turned off commenting on her posts. There were some rumors a while back stating Minaj was pregnant with Nas’ child, but the rumors were found to be false. Who knows, though? I have also had a feeling since the fall that Minaj is working on new music. I have been waiting patiently for her to drop an album, and the time seems to be right. Minaj has been on the radio in a lot of features, and I think that is because she plans on coming out with new music soon. I believe this hiatus is just for music, but who knows? Maybe she is pregnant. I mean, this wouldn’t be the first time a celebrity took a hiatus from social media to be pregnant.

Minaj’s Latest Instagram Post

In my opinion, ever since Kylie Jenner decided to take a hiatus from social media, many other stars might be following her lead. Jenner took a break from social media while pregnant with her daughter, Stormi, but has had great embrace back to social media. Jenner’s photo of just her daughter’s hand holding her thumb captioned with the child’s name became the most liked photo on Instagram, beating out Beyonce’s twins announcement. Now, when Jenner posts an Instagram photo, it seems the world stops to look at it. Jenner’s posts are always at the top of my newsfeed and, believe it or not, has been “breaking news” to Daily Mail and People magazine. Ever since stepping back into the limelight, Jenner is all any pop culture media outlet wants to report. Jenner went outside? It’s breaking news. Jenner posted a photo of her and her best friend? 1,000,000 likes. Other celebrities probably want to create the same hype for their own benefit. I have a feeling Minaj and Grande will come out of nowhere and drop an incredible album. Everyone would want to listen, because where have they been for the last three months? Maybe the answer is in the music.

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.