The Hypocrisy of Rep. Tim Murphy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

*Image from murphy.house.gov

For many, being conservative and pro-life go hand-in-hand. One congressman, Rep. Tim Murphy was deemed a crusader in the anti-abortion movement. Recently, text messages leaked between Rep. Murphy and Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist and a woman he was having an affair with.  Edwards stated that Rep, Murphy urged her to get an abortion after a pregnancy scare and now many are wondering how many politicians actually stand by their pro-life views. 

Edwards fired back with a text that said, “And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options.” That’s when things got even messier.

Rep Murphy’s response was an unexpected one, “I get what you say about my March for Life messages. I’ve never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don’t write any more. I will.”  Along with switching his stance when it’s convenient for him, Rep. Murphy also admitted that he does not necessarily agree with what is written in his pro-life speeches. This raises even more red flags because Rep. Murphy also was a co-sponsor on a bill passed by the House of Representatives that would ban abortion after 20 weeks.

In addition to the abortion ban, President Trump issued a rollback on the birth control mandate created by Obamacare. Now employers can decide whether or not they want to cover birth control based on their personal beliefs. 

Today, women still do not have complete control over their bodies. In many states it’s harder to get access to sexual health resources than it is to get semi-automatic weapons. If these recent laws tell us anything, it’s that America can’t give up just yet. With enough noise, people have the power to change just about anything. 

Source.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.