How to Spend Spring Break Without Your BFF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The media has given us unrealistic expectations about spring break. Until I got to college, I thought it was normal for students to spend their breaks relaxing on a tropical island or dancing for MTV. Then I had my first college spring break and I realized it wasn’t much different than high school, except it was worse. Not only did I sit around my house with nothing to do, but I couldn’t even call up my best friend because her college had a different spring break and she was already back at school. If you’re dreading spring break because your bestie goes to a different school, lives in a different state, or is going away, check out these tips!

• Check for Overlap: Luckily my best friend’s break is the week before mine, so her last weekend home is my first! We make sure we carefully plan to see each other at least once during those three days. Don’t think you need to do something over the top to make up for lost time either. With my bestie, catching up over ice cream is just as exciting as a cross-country road trip.

• Spend Time with Your Family: I know, this doesn’t sound like the most glamorous way to spend spring break, but it’s definitely fun! Your family misses you and they will certainly appreciate the gesture. From brunch to bowling, there are plenty activities that you and your family will enjoy together.

• Treat Yo’ Self: Chances are you’re going to be spending a couple days alone until your parents come home from work. Use that peace and quiet to your advantage! Turn on some music, use a bath bomb (might as well take advantage of the bathtub while you’re home), or binge-watch some Netflix all without any distractions.

• Catch Up with People from Home:  I still have a handful of friends back home who I keep in touch with. However, planning to see each other with our busy schedules over such a short period of time can be tough. Try planning out things in advance, so that way you can avoid the desperation when you want to hang out with someone but everyone is busy.
Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.