Holiday Gift Guide for Girlfriends on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.
  1. Wine GlassGetting your wine enthusiast friend a wine glass for the holidays is a perfect and cheap gift (if giving a single glass). One single stemless wine glass costs anywhere from $5-20. I’ve seen them at Marshall’s for cheaper! Not to mention, your friend will probably get a great deal of use out of it!

2. MakeupFor the makeup lover, I suggest a set that has essentials. Sephora is selling a kit called “After Dark Travel Pencil Kit.” This set sells three of the brand’s well known eyeliners for $19. The eyeliners are in the shades Voodoo (metallic purple), Zero (black), and Corrupt (dark metallic red-brown). You can also get a holiday kit a brand puts out with some of their best products. Ulta is selling a set from Smashbox called the “Try It Kit.” This $18 kit includes an eyeshadow pod (featuring three neutral colors), and travel sizes of their Full Exposure mascara, eyeshadow primer, and foundation primer. This kit gives a good variety of products that the line is known for. Another idea is a kit from Too Faced. This year, Too Faced came out with a kit that you can break down the take apart. The set is called the “Melted Kisses and Sweet Cheeks”. This set comes with three miniature sets inside. Each box includes a Melted Lipstick with a small, very close matching blush. The colors included in this set are nude, pink, and purple. The Melted Lipsticks are a signature liquid lipstick product from Too Faced, and the blushes are new to the line as of Spring 2015. This set costs $36 dollars, but if you break it down you’re only spending $12 a person!

3. Lotion/Scent KitBath and Body Works and the Body Shop sell great holiday sets for those girls who love lotion and scents! Bath and Body Works are selling this great gift including a lotion, shower gel, and fragrance mist in an adorable gift box. For the generously sized set, you only pay $27. The Body Shop also has a lot of great options for gift sets, including ones that look like ornaments, Christmas crackers, and presents.

4. ScarvesScarves are a good go to when you do not what gift to get a person. Scarves are a winter essential and will get use. They are a great gift for men or women. Depending on where you buy them, scarves can run relatively cheap. Just don’t be expected to pay $20 for a cashmere sweater!

5. CandleCandles add a fresh smell to the room and make a room feel more cozy. Yankee Candle, Target, and many other stores sell candles.

6. Nail PolishNail Polish is a great gift to give any girlfriend. Girls love to paint their nails. The more nail polish we have on hand the better, because what if I don’t have that right shade of pink?! A lot of brands also come out with sets for the holidays of either new colors, or of their top selling ones.

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.