This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This past week, thousands convened in New York City to attend the annual Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.  The event showcased designer collections for the upcoming spring and summer seasons. Though the biggest event in the fashion industry has come and gone, the social media app, Snapchat, left us with more than a year’s upcoming styles.  

The app has a newly added feature that automatically uploads events into the “My Story” page.  From college football to EDM concerts, Snapchat sifts through pictures and videos of the affair and compile them into one for the users to enjoy.   This year, because of Snapchat, thousands more experienced New York Fashion Week through their phone.  The stream included videos of the runway, models backstage, celebrity performances, and more.  It gave the viewer the perspective of someone who attended the show.  Lasell’s Rebecca Lanhan, sophomore, enjoyed viewing the event through the app.

“I thought it was cool how you could see the different angles of the show within a single Snap story.  I wouldn’t have gone out of my way to watch the fashion show, so the event on Snapchat was just enough,” Lanhan said.

This year, designers showed looks from couture to glorified loungewear.  However, two designers produced collections that were much more unique.  Jeremy Scott featured a hippie inspired line that included tie-dye garments, Shrek, and an anti-drug motto.  Fellow designer Thom Browne’s collection featured menswear inspired garments and hats all while his models walked down a grass runway.  Some model’s accessories included large hats and push-mowers.  New York Fashion Week was turned into an event for all through the objective eye of Snapchat.