This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Disney movies have become an important part of many people’s childhoods. The films have resonated so well with many that they still remain popular with adults as well as children. Disney’s latest princess movie Moana is no exception.  Moana, which is inspired by Polynesian mythology, is equal parts colorful and emotional and is perfect for anyone looking for a sweet, family film.

The film is based on the fictitious myth of Te Fiti, the goddess who created life. Te Fiti’s heart was stolen by demigod Maui (a real figure in Polynesian mythology) but unfortunately became lost in the ocean, along with Maui’s magical fish hook. Now, thousands of years later, Moana is chosen to reunite the heart to Te Fiti. However, she also must begin her journey of ruling over the island, leaving her conflicted about the best way to help her people.

I was excited to see this movie, but I was not expecting to be so emotionally attached to it. While the comedy and fun musical numbers (written by Lin-Manuel Miranda) are perfect for viewers of any age, the emphasis on family and self-discovery is something an older audience experiencing similar situations will appreciate. While it’s been awhile since I’ve seen some of the classics, I don’t quite remember any of them having as emotionally-charged messages like some of the recent films such as Brave, Frozen and Tangled.  I love that they are introducing more dimensional characters to their target audience.

Moana does a great job at inclusivity. Moana is the first Polynesian princess, and now more children can say there is a Disney character that looks just like them. Having the lead voice actors Auli’i Cravalho (Moana) and Dwayne Johnson (Maui) be of Polynesian descent was a nice touch. Moana also introduced Polynesian culture to the people who might not have known much about it otherwise.

If you want a fun, but still thought-provoking movie that is suitable for all ages check out Disney’s Moana in theaters now. Make sure you get tickets though, because it has been selling out theaters everywhere. With a movie this good, there is no way you’re waiting for the DVD release to see it.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.