clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dating: Second Semester of Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Dating in college is tough, especially at the end of senior year. We all have different experiences and opinions on the subject. Some have had multiple relationships in college, while other maybe not so many. Dating in college can be great and a disaster at the same time. If you find someone you instantly have a connection with, it can be great. There are factors we all may think about, though, that can make a relationship go south such as too much school work and stress, a partner that’s too controlling, or just not the right timing in general to start a long lasting relationship.

I started dating my best guy friend of a few years from home, right around New Year’s. We have always had a connection but neither of us pursued or brought up the idea out of nervousness and not knowing what the other would think or respond. We finally decided that we should be something when both of us were out of bad past relationships and have always had strong feelings for one another. Overall, I believe there are a few factors that influence whether or not you should decide to date someone in college:

1. Timing

Timing really is everything. Not to say that it will ever be the ‘perfect’ time, but if the timing feels right it most likely is. There can never be a perfect time as daily life, school work, home life, etc. will always be huge parts of life. However, dating someone when you feel it’s a good point in your life can make a huge difference as opposed to dating someone during a period of hardship (immediately after a breakup, after a loss of a family member, etc.), can start for a rocky beginning.

2. Distance

Distance should not be an end all be all, but being realistic about it can definitely help. It is hard to date if you are in college and on other sides of the country, as you need to make time to visit your significant other periodically.

3. Are you ready?

Being ready to date someone and start a commitment is probably the biggest step in deciding to date in college or not. Being ready means knowing what you’re looking for, what you want, and what you need emotionally to be ready to commit yourself to something serious that you want to last.

I am a junior Fashion Merchandising student from Stamford, CT. I have been writing for Her Campus since the beginning of spring semester, and am on the field hockey team, in the mini and Undergrad fashion shows,participate in Relay for Life yearly and Lasell's Senior Citizen's Prom,  and am a peer writing tutor in the AAC. At home I work at an ice rink and am a camp counselor for kids teaching hockey lessons, which is one of my favorite sports. I like working out, writing, listening to music, and going into Boston whenever I can.