Companies and Their Religious Agendas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Everyone is entitled the right to practice their own religion, but are companies entitled to push their religions onto their customers? Three companies, Forever 21, Chick-fil-A, and Hobby Lobby, have been under some controversy in the past few years due to overly preaching their companies’ religious policies and tendencies. While these are favorites for many consumers, some feel unsure about mixing retail and religion.

Forever 21

Everyone has heard of Forever 21; it’s one of the hottest places to shop for the latest trends for a low price.  What people don’t realize is that Forever 21 is subconsciously throwing a religious agenda at their customers.  A few years ago they sold graphic t-shirts marketed towards younger audiences depicting phrases containing words like “Jesus” and “God.”

Not only does their merchandise provide religious insights, but so do their bags.  On the bottom of their bags is the words “John 3:16,” which is a section of the Bible stating, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A has been known for its religious agenda since it first started. It is in fact closed on Sundays because it’s considered the Lord’s day.

However, Chick-fil-A’s religious agenda has gotten them in some trouble. One controversial aspect of their agenda was the anti-LGBT activism that came out into the public.  Chief Operating Officer Dan T. Cathy made comments back in 2012 opposing same-sex marriage.  After this controversy, it was found that they also had been donating money to support anti-gay organizations.

Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is another company that is closed on Sundays due to their religious beliefs.  They also have an employee manual that includes biblical references, and announces on its website its commitment to “Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.” Even though they are dedicated to expressing their religious freedom, they have come under some controversy recently when a blogger was told that no Hanukkah decorations were stocked because the owner of the company is a Christian.  

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.