American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace Trailer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Earlier this month, FX released the trailer for The Assassination of Gianni Versace, the upcoming season of the crime anthology series, American Crime Story.  The series tells the story of fashion designer Gianni Versace who was assassinated by serial killer Andrew Cunanan on the steps of his Miami mansion in 1997.

The trailer opens up with Cunanan (played by Darren Criss) fleeing the scene and Versace’s business partner/boyfriend Antonio D’Amico screaming for help. Cunanan became obsessed with the lavish lifestyle of Versace, leading to his assassination.  

Versace’s sister Donatella (played by Penelope Cruz), appears midway through the trailer. A partner at the house of Versace, Donatella was in Italy at the time of Gianni’s murder, but flew out to Miami immediately hearing the news of her brother.

“He was a  creative, he was a genius. Everything you see around us, this house, this company was his life.” Donatella said in a statement following her brother’s murder in the chilling trailer.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace was supposed to be the third installment of American Crime Story following what was originally supposed to be season two, Katrina. Katrina would feature the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane, but since Versace was further along in production, it will be released as season two on January 17 and Katrina is set to premiere later in 2018.

You can watch the trailer below. 

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.