20 Things I Learned Before 20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Your twenties are some of the best years of your life, but if I’m being honest I’m completely scared of growing up. I don’t want to face real life adult responsibility whatsoever. However, my years leading up the age of 20 have taught me a lot to help me prepare for this next chapter of my life. Here’s what I’ve learned so far and hopefully it will help you, too:

1.FOMO (fear of missing out) is so real, but sometimes other stuff still has to come first, such as school work. You’ll regret going out when you don’t get a good grade because you decided to go out instead

2.It’s important to put yourself first sometimes. You’re in charge of your own happiness and future and sometimes that means having to put yourself before others, which is nothing to feel guilty about it.

3.Surround yourself with people who make you laugh because life is better when it’s spent laughing. And after all, people do say laughter is the best medicine.

4.Bad things happen to everybody, but it’s how you react to these things that really matters. You can sulk in your room for days or you can get up and make a change.

5.Sometimes you have to let go of relationships and people no matter how much you care about them. If people act like they don’t care, chances are they don’t.

6. If your heart isn’t completely in something then it’s time to let it go.

7.Writing down your goals and priorities actually does help you to stay motivated and focused. There’s no feeling quite like checking off something you have accomplished.

8.Always be the best friend/person you can possibly be. We all know what it’s like to feel unappreciated and like no one cares about you, so don’t make others feel this way.

9.It’s important to take your own advice and do what makes you happy at the end of the day.

10.Saying no is completely okay. Don’t change something or do something just because other people want you to.

11. Life isn’t fair and never will be.

12.Time and energy isn’t wasted if it’s getting you closer to where you want to be in life. Even the smallest step is still a step in the right direction.

13.Don’t let other people’s’ bad moods affect you and don’t take your bad mood out on other people.

14.Taking chances and doing things outside your comfort zone might not always work out but it’s important to do. These awkward and uncomfortable situations allow you to grow as a person and learn a lot about yourself.

15.Hitting rock bottom is ok because there is no where to go from there but up and it allows us a fresh start.

16. It’s important to surround yourself with people who have similar goals and people that will push you and encourage you to go after what you want.

17.No dream is too big if you are willing to work for it.

18.Always stay in touch with family and friends at home. They most likely know you just as well as you know yourself, and will help you stay grounded and on the right path.

19.At some point you need to let go of your past. You can’t change anything about it, so don’t let it haunt you anymore.

20.Lastly, time is moving so fast and it’s important to enjoy your youth to the fullest, so go out there, and have fun. Who cares if you make a couple mistakes along the way?