10 Lessons My Mother Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

My mother has been one of my biggest role models throughout my life. She has shaped the woman I am today by teaching me things that, at times, I didn’t even know I was learning.

1. Be patient when others are not-

One of the things I always admired about my mother is the ability to remain patient when dealing with all types of people.

2. No one has to know it was on sale-

One of my mother’s famous lessons was that when shopping, you should always go straight for the sale racks. No one has to know your designer dress was 50 percent off.

3. The beach is the answer to any problem-

My mother is known for her love of the beach and she has taught me that no matter how you are feeling, going to the beach can set you at ease.

4. Life is too short to skip dessert-

From as long as I can remember, my mother has loved baking and sweets. I have grown knowing that at the end of the day, you shouldn’t sweat the cookie calories.

5. Always stick to the classics-

Fads will fade, classic will always be around. You will never go wrong when dressing in the classics.

6. Tradition is important-

Whenever I would complain that I was bored doing family stuff on holidays, my mother would always warn me that one day I would miss these boring traditions, and I never knew what she meant until I went away to college.

7. Never ever be embarrassed to be yourself-

You like what you like and as long as it makes you happy, you shouldn’t care what anyone else thinks.

8. True love will stand through everything-

If my parents have taught me anything from their marriage, it is that even though you may fight at the end of the day, if the love is true then you will be okay at the end of the day. The advice my mother would always give me is that if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.

9. Be nice to mean girls-

This is a lesson I’m still trying to learn, but what my mother would always tell me is that you never know what demons could be haunting them to make them act this way.

10. Your mother is always right-

I can’t even count all the times my mother has been right about something in my life. As much as I hate to admit it, my mother seems to always be right.

Elizabeth is a Senior at Lasell College, she is a writer and President for the Lasell Her Campus chapter.