This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

With the rise of stunning pictures of this striking Indonesian island popping up all over Instagram, Bali has never been a more popular destination amongst adventure seekers. The island is known for its volcanic mountains covered with greenery, beautiful temples, beaches, and coral reefs. This guide will show you all the places not to miss and little hints and tips for your travels.

Ubud Art Market

Ubud

Despite what you might see on Instagram, Bali is an island that is dense with tourists. However, Ubud is a town in the more forested part of Bali, still with many touristy areas but it has a much more traditional feel. Jalan Raya Ubud is the main street that runs through the town centre. Here you will find the Ubud Art Market, home to endless stalls covered in crafts and gifts to buy. This street is also home to Ubud’s Royal Palace where traditional dance performances are held. These elaborate performances are a must-see, with bright costumes and makeup. But be aware they can drag on a little, especially if you’re jetlagged.

Traditional Balinese Dancers 

Just travelling from place to place in Ubud you are surrounded by beautiful jungle scenery. The iconic rice paddies make for a great picture, but you don’t need to spend long there to get the gist. I wouldn’t recommend hiring a vehicle, especially not a motorbike, even though this may seem convenient. The roads all over Bali are dangerous, with very few road safety laws enforced. Even being a passenger in a taxi is a nerve-wracking experience compared to what you might be used to. If temples are your thing then you won’t be short in Bali, where there are over 20,000! Not far from Ubud is the Tirta Empul Temple where you can explore the stunning grounds and bathe in the holy mountain water that is supposed to purify you. This can be an interesting and fun way to experience Balinese Hinduism and walk around the picturesque grounds.

Ubud Rice Paddies

Seminyak

Seminyak is the tourist capital and beach resort of Bali with very few areas untouched by tourist activity. If you’re looking for a more authentic (and cheaper) Balinese experience, then perhaps just a short stay in Seminyak will suit you. This is Bali’s shopping heaven, with endless shops, markets and boutiques lining the streets. Most things tend to be more expensive here due to the upscale market. There are many restaurants, most being pricey but providing incredible food. A popular restaurant is Ku De Ta, a fantastic dining experience if you’re willing to put out the cash. Hotels are more western here than those you would find anywhere else on the island, however, most offer many traditional spa treatments such as the renowned Balinese massage that will have you never wanting to leave. Yoga is also very popular with many yoga centres to be found across the area.

The beach is the main attraction of Seminyak, lined with an abundance of cool beach bars that make an amazing set of cocktails for you to sip while watching the sunset. Tourists and locals alike collect on the beach for sunset, one of the most stunning sights on the island. One thing to watch out for here is taxi scams. There are many taxi companies operating in the area, and despite being the best way to get around, most will massively overcharge. It’s better to stick with a trusted company such as Bluebird Taxis. You can also download an app and order these taxis just like an Uber!

Seminyak Beach

Gili Trawangan

Although not actually part of Bali, Gili Trawangan, the largest of the nearby Gili Islands, is an easy 2-hour boat journey away. There are several companies that you can travel with, the most popular being BlueWater Express that is a fast and comfortable journey. However, a big issue here is that this fast boat is weather permitting. So, if there is too much wind then it could take many more hours to get the large ferry and make your journey. Despite this, the island is absolutely worth the trip. The crystal clear turquoise waters and white sand make for a much more relaxed atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of Bali. There are also many more options here for backpackers and travellers on a lower budget.

Crystal waters of Gili Trawangan

An unusual feature of the island is that it is motor-free, meaning the only way to get around is by donkey-drawn carriage or bicycle. However, if you don’t fancy that, the island is so small that most places are a short walk away. Activities include chilling by a pool, on the beach, going for a swim or diving into the dreamy waters. Diving trips to nearby coral reefs are very popular on the island, allowing you to explore the abundance of underwater wildlife. Gili Trawangan is also the perfect place for sunset cocktails. Most beachside hotels have a swing hanging in the ocean by the shore for you to get that perfect picture. 

To find out more about Bali and plan your trip visit:  https://www.bali.com/

Maddy is a third year Lancaster student graduating in 2019. Her favourite writing topics range from university life to articles just to make you smile. This 2018/19 academic year Maddy has taken over as a social media officer, so keep a look out for her regular posts on the chapter's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to stay up to date!