Review: The Study Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

The Study Room is an upmarket pub, selling a range of cocktails and pub grub infused with flavours from around the world. It’s located in the city centre of Lancaster and is a great place to go for a drink or grab some food with your friends or family.

(Image from hospitalityandcateringnews)

Drinks

The Study Room has a 2-for-1 offer on all of their cocktails, such as: Sex on the Beach, Cosmopolitan, Porn Star Martini and Long Island Iced Tea. However, due to being a Mixologist myself, these are fairly basic cocktails, so I would recommend trying the Peach Martini and Elderflower cocktails, as shown below. They are all priced at two for £8.95, which is fairly reasonable! They also sell a range of Spirits & Liqueurs, which can be served long, neat or on the rocks, such as Belvedere, Wild Turkey and Bombay Sapphire as well as a range of beers and lagers.

If you’re wanting to steer clear from the alcohol, why not try their ‘Hot beverages’ including: Espresso, Americano, Latte, Cappuccino, Flat white, Mocha, Breakfast tea, speciality teas and Hot Chocolate. There is also a range of soft drinks, like coke and lemonade.

Food

Whenever I get food at The Study Room I get the burgers, because they are great value for money due to the large portions and how nice they are. I tend to choose the ‘Lancashire Lad’ which has maple syrup bacon, Lancashire cheese with a secret sauce. You get the option, for all the burgers, to select beef, chicken or crispy buttermilk chicken, which are served in a Brioche bun and salad. You can also pick between fries or chunky fries, and there is even an option to ‘pimp up your fries’ for just £1 meaning you can upgrade your fries, such as: cheesy cravy fries, pulled pork and cherry cola BBQ fries and Cajun spiced sweet potato fries! However, I would recommend the £9.50 Lancashire Lad with fries (and a cocktail or two).

If you’re a student and think the price is a little steep, visit The Study Room on a Tuesday. This is because they offer ‘Tasty Tuesday’s’ which means there is a 50% discount on their food, including the burgers, hot dogs and Full plates. But, last time I visited it was very busy and there are limited tables, so I would advise booking ahead. Another offer that they have on everyday is the ‘Any three starters for £12’ but individually are priced £4-£4.50, including dishes like pitta bread and dips, crispy brie wedges and loaded nachos.

The Study Room also sells a range of sandwiches, wraps, quesadilla, hot dogs, tortilla salad bowels, full plates like hunter’s chicken and rump steak, desserts like chocolate fudgecake and has a kid’s menu too.

They also do Deliveroo, so you can deliver their food straight to your house (if you live within a certain radius)

The Quiz

Every Thursday The Study Room hosts a free quiz, which starts at 9pm, but I would recommend getting there for about 8pm to get a seat as it is quite popular, so can get fairly busy. Be aware, they’re quite strict on phones so during the quiz you aren’t allowed to go on your phone, which is nice in a way because it allows a little bit of a technology detox. The quiz covers the usual topics such as song lyrics, general knowledge, sports, Disney and so on, but the host does incorporate some ruder jokes, so best not to take the parents. The times I have visited the quiz, there have been prizes for first, second and third place, all centred around winning free drinks.

(Image from wifflegif)

Extra Info

Opening times: Monday – Saturday: 11am – Late and Sunday: Noon – Midnight

Food times: Sunday – Thursday: 12noon – 9pm and Friday & Saturday 12Noon – 8pm

Address: The Study Room, 30-32 Church Street, Lancaster, LA1 1LH

Contact details: 01524 64946

Visit their website for more details, such as bookings: http://www.thestudyroom.co/parties/

My overall rating for this pub would be 9/10, with it’s only improvement being to sell food a little later! (Image from coredesign)

Caitlin Biwer

Lancaster '20

.