​A Quick And Simple Pancake Recipe (But With All The Goodness)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Before any of you turn your noses up at the fact that the words ‘healthy’ and ‘pancake’ are in the same sentence, hear me out and I might just convince you to try this recipe.

I, like many people, LOVE pancakes. One of my favourite things to do at home is go for breakfast or brunch (depending on what time I surface for the day) and nine times out of ten I order pancakes. The combination of a good cup of coffee and pancakes with maple syrup drizzled on top and fruit scattered all around is just heaven, even talking about it now I need my coffee and pancake fix.

Since I was little, well, up until last year really, I made the mix at home rather than buy it pre-made; I think if you’re going to make pancakes don’t use the cheat’s way out, who’s with me? Anyway, this meant ingredients were everywhere as it is always the chaotic system of get one in the pan, don’t let it burn, eat it so it doesn’t go cold and then get the next one in- talk about a stressful time! But recently I have been making a healthier version, they are just as nice but it gets rid of all the rubbish ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I still love a lemon and sugar pancake but since adopting a healthy-lifestyle of good food and exercise, these pancakes cure my craving and none of those crazy calories are going in my body (result!). So here is how to make a quick stack of healthy banana and blueberry oat pancakes;

Ingredients to make 5/6 pancakes:

• ½ a cup of Porridge oats
  • 2 bananas
  • A handful of blueberries
  • 2 eggs
  • Half a teaspoon of baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder (optional)
  • Honey and a scoop of natural yogurt as toppings

Method:

1. Chop and mush the banana and cut the blueberries in to small pieces and place in a bowl
  2. In another bowl, crack the eggs, add the oats, baking powder and cocoa powder.
  3. Add the fruit contents to the bowl (in part 2) and whisk together well, if you have a blender- perfect, but if not just mix until smooth (don’t worry if there are a few lumps)
  4. Heat a pan, add oil, and place some of the mixture in the pan and swirl the pan around so that the mixture flattens (don’t make the pancake too thick)
  5. Keep flipping it over on both sides, it will turn a golden brown but make sure it is cooked inside. 
  6. Once cooked and you have made as much as you like, pile the pancakes on a plate with a scoop of yogurt on the top and drizzle the honey all over.
  7. Take a picture of your masterpiece (if you are in to that sort of thing)
  8. Enjoy!!!!!

So why not have a go of this super simple recipe, it takes 5 minutes to make and around 15 minutes to cook and they taste amazing. They’re also good to have after the gym as they fill you up for the day which is a bonus because I would normally have about 10 lemon and sugar pancakes and that is just not good for anybody haha.

Happy Pancake Day!

Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling