How to be Calm, Organised and Positive in the Run up to Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

1. PLAN!

Obvious but essential! Try to map out the week ahead on a Sunday night, sort out when you will do what for the next seven days – allocate hours for revision, assignments, and down time. Revision timetables with hourly slots are a great way to do this, as well as weekly planners and there are obviously apps that do it for you and make it very easy.

(Image from Instagram)

2. Don’t overload

Regular breaks are an absolute necessity if you want to do well. Revising for hours on end until all hours of the night might seem like a good idea in the height of your panic, but it won’t do you any good in the long run. Find out what time your work best – for some it’s early morning and for others it’s late at night – and work around that, scheduling breaks between your prime working times.

(Image from Pinterest)

3. Eat well

Try to eat foods that help your brain to function, such as wholegrains, oily fish, berries and nuts – these will not only help you in aspects such as memory and concentration, but will also keep you at a good and safe energy level – eating sugary foods will result in a crash soon after, which is not what you need when you’re revising (that said, don’t forget to treat yourself, we all need to indulge every now and then!).

(Image from Pinterest)

4. Meet up with your friends or do something you enjoy

Again, revising all day every day seems like a good idea, but your brain and body will need a break. Take time out of your schedule to meet up or spend time with your friends, read a book, go for a walk (Williamson Park is lovely, or even just the Woodland Walk around campus) or a swim, go for a meal. Whatever you enjoy doing. Having a healthy mind is one of the most important things to consider in the run up to exams – taking time to de-stress will benefit you so much in the long run!

(Image from Gateway2theLakes)

5. Sleep well

Being tired can completely throw you off your game and can mean the difference between a pass and a fail – try to get a good nights’ sleep in every night – as good as possible anyway.

(Image from thenews.com)