Foods That You Don’t Realise Aren’t Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Since coming to University I’ve stopped eating meat and slowly turned from a pescetarian into a vegetarian last Christmas. During this transfer from being a meat eater, I’ve learnt so much about the amount of normal foods that contain animal products especially gelatine and rennet!

1. Some Cheeses

For example: Parmesan & Edam. Normal parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano) contains beef rennet. Make sure you check whenever you’re eating out at any restaurant that don’t clearly mark what is vegetarian on their menu. You can however buy “Italian-style hard cheese” which is suitable for vegetarians. This, however, leads us on to number two…

(Image: s-nbcnews.com)

2. Pesto

Normal pesto contains Parmesan and nearly all shop bought pesto contain this. The only exceptions I have found so far are: Sainsbury’s Roasted Pepper Pesto and Sacla Organic Vegetarian Pesto- just make sure you look out for the vegetarian symbol on the jar!

(Image: assets.goodhousekeeping.co.uk)

3. Some Wines and Ciders

Always worth checking the label for this but most ales need fining which is done by adding isinglass (fish bladders) and some ciders are made using gelatine.  

4. Yogurt

For example Müller light yogurts contain gelatine which they claim is used to give the yogurt a “creamier, richer texture.”

(Image: pinimg.com)

5. Orange Juice

Most orange juices that claim to be “heart-healthy” or products that contain Omega-3’s are likely to be from fish oil. Also, vitamin D in some juices are derived from lanolin (Sheep’s wool). So maybe stick to just eating oranges!

(Image: thegrocerygirls.com)

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.