Best film of the year? La La Land Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

La La Land was released in UK cinemas on the 12th January and I’m not going to lie, I was counting down the days till I could go and see it!

If you don’t already know it is set in LA with two main characters Mia and Seb, played by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, chasing after different dreams. You follow them through their journeys to obtain what they’re after. Whilst it is set in modern day it’s done in the style of an old style musical so be prepared for characters to randomly break into song!

The music and soundtrack for this film is amazing and I love how Ryan Gosling learnt the piano for the film- it really adds to it!

Now don’t get me wrong this film isn’t perfect. For example it has been way too overhyped, some of the songs Emma Stone sings should definitely be in lower key and you do have watch it with an open mind because there are some really quirky bits. Also *SPOILER ALERT* the ending will break your heart.

But I find that the non-perfect things about it, like the raw singing, just makes it even more amazing.

I am in love with this film and I have already been to see it twice. I’ve recommended it so many people and would definitely say to go and see it before it leaves the cinema because it’s a different film and in my opinion it is one of the best films of 2017.

Rating: 5/5

Student studying at Lancaster University, majoring in English language and minoring in Marketing and Linguistics. Interested in Beauty, Diet and Health.