6 Ways To Start Planning Ahead For The Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

I’m not sure if this is the case for all students, but our generation tends to worry about the future. We’re told there are no jobs available, you need a million qualifications just to be considered for a job, along with years of work experience – the list is endless. But this simply isn’t the case, all we need is some perseverance and decisiveness. Take a look at this list for some guidance on thinking about your future, no matter if you’re at school, college, university or have recently graduated.

1. Don’t panic

I know it’s easier said than done, but try not to worry about your future. It’s all I ever seem to do, because I’ve always been so undecided about what career path I want to take – I still have no idea and I’m in my second year at university! It is often comforting for me that many other people are in the same position, so even though many of your friends around you have their life planned out, just remember that the majority of young people are just as unsure as you. It is often the case that people are set on a career path and end up doing something completely different – just take every day as it comes.

(Image from Giphy)

2. Ruling things out

For me, this is one of the easiest things to do. Simply sit down and write down the types of careers you are certain you would not enjoy or do quizzes online that help you work out what jobs to head towards or stay clear from. Another useful thing to do is simply visit https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ which has lists of endless jobs to look into and a quiz to help you ‘find your perfect career’. If you are unsure about whether or not you would enjoy certain careers take the next step…

(Image from Twitter)

3. Work experience, work experience, work experience

Although it is difficult and can be a pain to sort out yourself, it is worth it. So far, I have done work experience in first, middle and high schools, care homes, libraries and advertising companies and worked part-time in numerous places. Don’t just sit around over the Christmas, Easter and summer holidays – contact businesses. Simply google areas near to your hometown or university, such as a care home, email them your CV and inform them that are you interested in doing some work experience and would love to do so at their company. Often employers are happy to allow work experience as it is often unpaid and allows individuals to bring in their own ideas and skills into the company, but don’t be disheartened if you get no reply as many companies do not have time for interns and volunteers. Do a bit of everything, see what takes your fancy!

(Image from Giphy)

4. Save up

I know how difficult it is to save when at school and university, but even putting aside a little bit of money every month can help. Getting a part-time job helps greatly with funding your university lifestyle, although many students feel this interferes with studies therefore is not an option sometimes. However, having a job means you can afford nights out, go out for dinners, can go abroad and go to festivals and have some security for your future, without depending on your family for help. Often zero-hour contracts are effective, such as working in football stadiums, bars and McDonalds, which means you can work when you are available, but aren’t set contracted hours per week. Saving means that you won’t feel as though you have to move back home after leaving school or university and can move where you please for a job that could be abroad or at the other end of the country from your hometown!

(Image from Giphy)

5. Moving away or back home

Have you thought about relocating for a job? It’s very far in advance to be thinking this far ahead, but you have to decide whether or not you are willing to move to different parts of the UK or abroad for jobs, as often jobs can be limited in the areas of your hometown. If you have already moved away for university you have already taken the first step – through moving away you gain independence, meet people from all around the world and don’t stay in your comfort zone. However, if you already know you love your hometown and have no intention in leaving then perhaps have a look at what is available in terms of jobs, because there might be a lot of opportunities or very few.

6. Speak to careers

Recently I discovered the fantastic resource of the careers team at Lancaster University called ‘The Base’, although the majority of universities provide careers services. Simply sign up to TARGETconnect and book an appointment with someone on the careers team. They can give you advice and guidance on getting internships or placements, help improve your CV and give general careers advice. Make use of it!

(Image from GroupGTI)

So, my advice would be to try and do as much work experience as you can that can simply to rule things out that you do not enjoy, bulk up your CV or help lead you to finding your perfect job! But remember not to worry about it, you can do it!

Caitlin Biwer

Lancaster '20

.