5 Meat-Free High Protein Foods: The Food Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Protein is an essential part of a healthy diet, especially if you’re trying to build more muscle in your body, and whenever people are looking for a protein fix, they automatically turn to meat. Whether you’re vegetarian or you simply want to mix your diet up a little, here are a few foods which can substitute your daily meat dish.

1. Fishy business

Salmon, tuna, swordfish…you name it. Fish is full of healthy and essential fatty acids which also help your brain function much better. Who doesn’t need that extra boost, especially during finals? You can enjoy it raw like sushi and sashimi, oven-cooked or even pan-fried. Fish is such an easy protein to enjoy: fix yourself a delicious side of fresh vegetables and you’re good to go!

2. Eggsquisite!

Did someone say eggs? I absolutely love them. Have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner and you’ve got yourself the main component in your meal. Eggs and toast? Energy boost for the day which is bound to put you in a good mood. Hard-boiled egg in a fresh salad? Delicious and easy to make, this salad will be your new favourite lunch. Not to mention omelettes and quiches, even yummier when you add in chopped vegetables of your choice.

3. Spinach

Popeye the Sailor man didn’t have bucket loads of spinach just for the sake of it. Spinach enhances your immunity, helps our bones get stronger and aids in the prevention of many types of cancer. Raw or cooked, spinach can be added to pasta or quinoa dishes, filling them with crunchy flavour, or used as one of the main components of green smoothies, great for when you feel like your body needs to be cleansed from all the toxins.

4. Milk it while you can

With cereal, in coffee, on its own…why do you think we drank so much of it as children? Milk strengthens the bones and teeth, making you grow stronger and fitter every single day. If you don’t like the taste of milk on its own, cheese is an excellent replacement. If you’re worried about the unhealthy components in cheese, there are always healthier alternatives such as low-fat mozzarella, ricotta and feta cheese, great in salads and sauces.

If you’re lactose intolerant, go for soy milk. It contains so much protein as well and can be used as much as normal milk.

5. Nutty times

When you feel like snacking, go nuts. Literally, though.

Almonds, brazil nuts, cashew nuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds. Hello, protein boost! Nuts and seeds should be an important part of your diet, crunchy and super healthy craving-stoppers which are also great and healthy fixes to enjoy during the day. Add them to your morning oatmeal, any type of yogurt or sprinkle them on pretty much any dessert you’re having.

Feeling adventurous? Try chicken with cashew nuts and almonds, an Asian inspired recipe that will leave you full without feeling not even a little bit guilty afterwards!  

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!