5 Classic Christmas Films You Will Undoubtedly Watch This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Christmas is the best season of the year for many reasons too long to list right now, but one of the joys of this festive season are those much loved films that you can only watch around this time of year. Here are 5 Christmas films that will most likely appear on T.V at some point or you’ll dig out the DVD and sit round with your family, either way you will have a good laugh together; 

1.    Love Actually 

You either love it or you hate it but no one can deny the feel-good factor that comes with this film! Love Actually features a huge ensemble cast with overlapping stories of love during the festive season. It’ll leave you playing a connection game, both on-screen and off, over which actors have acted with who before. It’s always a favourite, even if you’re only watching for the iconic scene of Sam running through the airport or Hugh Grant’s hilarious dancing.

2.    Elf 

Elf is known as a modern-day classic for a reason. Only Will Ferrell could pull off playing a man-child who believes he’s an elf. He makes Buddy a lovable character and an icon of Christmas spirit. Plus, it’s probably the most quotable Christmas film of all time, I know you know too. 

3.    Arthur Christmas

The people who made Wallace and Gromit decided to swap clay for CGI and the result became Arthur Christmas. The story of Santa’s youngest son, Arthur, realises that despite his father’s and brother’s fail-safe software which is supposed to ensure that all children receive a present, a little girl has been missed! Arthur goes on a round the world trip with his ‘Grandsanta’ to ensure she gets her present. It’s a heart-warmer that for the last 3 years has been played early Christmas morning at my house.

4.    Home Alone

Another modern-day Christmas classic that everyone’s heard of. Poor Kevin gets left behind while his family jet off on a Christmas break, which means he expertly (although at times, brutally) has to ward off some burglars. No matter how many times you see Home Alone you’ll still find it as funny as the first time. 

5.    It’s a Wonderful Life

As this one is actually a classic and named the UK’s favourite Christmas film, I felt it deserved a spot on the list. Released in 1946, It’s a Wonderful Life follows George Bailey on Christmas Eve after he decides to commit suicide, however, he is interrupted by a guardian angel who hosts an intervention, making him realise the impact he has had on other people’s lives and what the world would be like if he hadn’t of been born. It may no longer be the most exciting Christmas film to watch, or have the most laughs, but it’s still a Christmas essential. 

Lancaster University English Language in the Media student. Seem to have a high interest in all things pop culture, social media and the trivial...
Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling