5 Bath & Body DIYs Perfect for Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Sometimes the shops around Christmastime make you feel as though your festive spirit has evacuated your body due to the steady incoming flow of commercialism. Especially with all the adverts on TV sporting slogans such as: ‘show your loved ones you really care this Christmas by purchasing our incredibly expensive product (we doubled the price just in time for December) that they’ll probably never even look at again after the 25th’. So maybe that particular slogan isn’t fooling anyone, but one sure fire way of showing the people in your life that you do care are handmade gifts.

But anyone who has ventured into the realm of crafts before will know that the internet is flooded with ‘Cheap, Quick & Easy Woodwork DIYs for the festive season in just 5 steps!!’ which we all know are neither cheap, quick nor easy. Especially with step number 1 giving you a link to a 10-week beginner’s course in woodwork (#spon) and a voucher for a free meal on the plane over to your nearest rainforest to ensure the wood you use has been sustainably and ethically sourced i.e. you’re going to chop it down yourself. So even though there will be no workers getting the short end of the stick, you’ll definitely feel exploited when airport security confiscates your suitcase. So to save you the trouble, I’ve compiled this list of things you really can make without having a PhD in Art & Design or 10 years of experience. And the best part about it is these gifts look great and will leave the recipient wondering exactly how you did it.

TIP: Most of these ideas contain essential oils, which may seem expensive, but go a long way since only a few drops are usually required.

1. Lemon and Lavender Sugar Scrub

This is probably the easiest one on the list with only 4 ingredients (that’s right, and the 4th one is optional) that you can find easily on any high-street. This sugar scrub really won’t break the bank and will work out cheaper than other natural products you can buy in shops. The thing I really like about this DIY is that it’s customisable, although the instructions are specifically for lemon and lavender you can easily sub in any essential oil smell that your friend/family member has a preference for. And you needn’t even splash out on fancy jars for this one, wash some old jam jars in hot soapy water and recycle creatively!

2. Orange Bath Bombs

This one is probably a bit trickier as some of the ingredients may be harder to come by, but not to worry! A quick google search to find your nearest supplier (online or in store) should do it. With bath bombs seeming like an expensive gift considering they’re one use only, the homemade variety could be the answer.

3. Lip Balm

Although you may not be able to find the exact essential oil called for in this DIY, it’s easy enough to substitute it with your own personal favourite. Lip balm always makes a good Christmas gift or stocking filler not only because of the cold weather, but you can never have too many when you keep misplacing them in old coat pockets and down the side of the sofa.

4. Gingerbread Body Butter

Most of these DIYs aren’t strictly festive, but this one certainly is! With cinnamon as one of the ingredients, this body butter is sure to have you in the Christmas spirit. Once again, it requires very little effort but is sure to have just the same impact as anything shop bought.

5. Lotion Bars

This one is a bit different in that it has a handy little video explaining the method (which is great if you’re like me and need step-by-step picture guidance when doing anything like this). It features a few different designs so you can take your pick depending on who the recipient is. Again, this is something that looks like it took a lot longer than it did and is sure to be a great surprise gift. Scary ingredient: Beeswax (but it needn’t be) – it’s quite readily available online.

Hopefully something on this list will appeal to you because homemade is always great for giving people a unique, thoughtful present (and you get to have fun doing it too – so that’s a bonus!) Escape from the high-street this December by creating your own little Santa’s grotto at home.

Student at Lancaster University studying English Language and Literature