Why I Love La Verne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

1. Size: With approximately 2800 students, La Verne’s classes average at 16 people. When I imagined college, I pictured a huge lecture hall of 200 students. But our lecture hall is filled with students only when we have a movie night, comedy show or karaoke competition, never for classes. This small class size brings me to my next favorite thing about La Verne…

2. Opportunities and Connections: In small classes the professors can learn your name and get to know you. Not only is this good to be comfortable in your learning environment, but it is also helpful to build strong connections with professors. These connections usually lead to internship, job or research opportunities, that you otherwise may have never heard about. When my professor heard about an internship off campus with one of her old coworkers, she was able to recommend me, and YES I got it! You absolutely never know when an opportunity will come your way. La Verne has given me so many opportunities from building a portfolio, getting hands on experience and and helping build connections through small class sizes, personable professors and a comforting environment. 

3. Community Feeling: My friends at other schools have never met the president of their schools, let alone HUGGED her! It is so amazing to see friendly faces everywhere you go on campus. We spend so much of our days here, why not enjoy them? When you know your professors and classmates, the experience is so much more fun. Going to dinner with professors is definitely common for students. 

4. Location: I am asked all the time “Where is University of La Verne?” The city of La Verne is small but perfectly located near the mountains and still close enough to LA. Great hiking spots, the LA County Fair, delicious restaurants, movie theaters and a mall are just a few minutes away. The area is so green that it is refreshing to walk around, sit in the shade and enjoy the scenery. But if you feel like being in the city on a Friday night, LA is close enough. La Verne’s Saturday farmers market and D Street dining options make La Verne the perfect college town. 

Brooke is an aspiring journalist attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. She has a knack for all things adventurous and food related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or the Campus Times you can find her taking pictures of her award-winning cat or eating various types of cheese.