Why Coconut Oil Is Our New Health Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Coconut oil is the lazy person’s dream. We are all a little guilty of looking for an easy way out when it comes to health and fitness. We want to have the best results with as little work as possible, so you can rejoice with me when I say that reaping the benefits of coconut oil is as simple as eating it. Yes, eating is involved.

But before you begin your coconut oil journey it is important to know how to decipher the labels.

When you go to buy coconut oil, you want to make sure you get virgin or extra-virgin coconut oil because those labels mean it hasn’t been processed. Also, make sure you look for cold-pressed oil because that’s how you know they didn’t use any heat when they extracted the oil. Using heat during the extraction process causes the oil to lose the Medium Chain Triglycerides, MCTs, which make it beneficial for the body.

I buy my 16 ounce jar of coconut oil for $5.99 at Trader Joes and it lasts me two months.

Adding coconut oil into your daily routine by consuming one ounce a day reduces hunger and increases fat burning in the abdominal. Fat carried in the abdomen is the most dangerous of all and is connected with many Western diseases, such as diabetes.

Different ways of adding coconut oil into your diet include substituting it for butter, which is a much healthier route to take when baking or cooking because it has less cholesterol, or throwing it into a fresh smoothie.

My go-to smoothie recipe incudes blending together a tablespoon of coconut oil, half a banana, half a cup of vanilla soy milk (any milk will do), a teaspoon of chia seeds, a packet of Stevia (Stevia is a no caloric, all natural sweetener and sugar substitute) and 4-6 ice cubes for a health-packed treat.

Coconut oil can also be used to kill bacteria in the mouth, draw infection out, reduce bad breath and whiten teeth through a process called “oil pulling therapy.”

Before you make a face of disgust, I can tell you from experience that it does not taste bad or feel slimy. It tastes like tropical syrup. When the oil is sitting on your shelf in the pantry it is in a solid white form but with the heat from your body, the consistency will melt and turn into a clear liquid as you move it around in your mouth.

To try oil pulling, take a tablespoon of virgin or extra-virgin cold-pressed coconut oil and swish it around in your mouth for around 15-20 minutes. The best time oil pull is in the morning before you brush your teeth. Set a timer and carry on with your morning routine—it is the easiest way to pass the time.

Make sure not to swallow any of the oil because you will be digesting the bacteria it has pulled from your mouth.

When your 15-20 minutes are up spit it out in a trash can or napkin and brush your teeth. Do not spit it into the sink because it will clog your pipe (trust me) and the bacteria residue will be splattered around your sink bowl. When you’re done your teeth will dazzle with a glossy shine.

Happy oil pulling!

For more information about oil pulling watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9B2Qbrot0, and to hear more about health benefits of coconut oil visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi2SD6wO9Q

Gabriella Chikhani can be reached at gabriella.chikhani@laverne.edu or on Twitter @britishwannabee

Gabriella Chikhani, Gabby to her friends and family, is the Senior Editor for the La Verne chapter of Her Campus. She has lived and studied in England and hopes to work as a journalist there someday. Gabby's favorites include: Disneyland, Lush, London, Demi Lovato, Horchata, rain boots and winged eyeliner. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @BritishWannabee