This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I may be a bit biased when I’m writing this (because I’m the biggest Marvel fangirl ever), but I cannot pass up the opportunity to talk about the latest Marvel masterpiece! Here are some really cool (spoiler free) things I enjoyed about the Black Panther movie and why it definitely deserves the hype:

1. REPRESENTATION Shout it louder for the people in the back!!!! This is the first Marvel superhero movie where all the lead characters are black, which is a revolutionary for Hollywood. Having that strong representation of African-American characters inspire many because they are finally getting the representation they deserve.   
  2. Great casting Sometimes I forget that the actors are separate from their characters because they’re portrayed so well! You could really feel the anger from Killmonger, the compassion from Nakia and the internal moral battle from T’Challa. I was hit with all their emotions and I really felt everything they were in the scenes.  
  3. The! Visuals! When I saw the trailer, I remember seeing a bit of The Lion King when T’Challa entered the spirit world. Right then, I knew that this movie was going to have some of the most breathtaking visuals of the country of Wakanda. I was not disappointed.  
  4. Technology way beyond our time Wakanda is known for being the most technologically-advanced country in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so I was really excited to see the things they would come up with. New weapons, new suits and a remote-controlled car? SIGN ME UP!  
  5. The brother-sister dynamic T’Challa and Shuri are truly #siblinggoals! Yes, they get annoyed with each other and banter like regular sibs do, but they always show their support and their love for each other.  
  6. Shuri. Enough said. This 16-year-old is the smartest person in Wakanda, matching the intelligence of our resident scientist Bruce Banner or technological genius Tony Stark. Most of Wakanda’s technological advancements are due to Shuri’s inventions, and the Black Panther really wouldn’t be as cool without all the tech she makes for him.  
  7. Female POWER Let me just say: every single female character in this movie SLAYS. From T’Challa’s mother to The Dora Milaje, Wakanda is protected fiercely by these females, and they would do anything for their country. Every character showed strength and loyalty through and through, even during the time when all hope seemed to have been lost.  
  8. The villain Eric Killmonger is another one of those villains that you can’t hate. His reasons and intentions for his crimes are just, but the way he does things are what makes him a villain. 
Much like the Disney character, I don't let society define who I am & I always do what I think is right. Communications/Public Relations major, Class of 2019 at the University of La Verne. I aspire to learn from the best to better serve the world we live in by creating clear messages for the public.