What You Can Do To Save Net Neutrality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

On Dec. 14 the Federal Communications Commission will vote on a net neutrality-killing plan. NOW is the time to take a stand. We only have a few days to contact our representatives and make sure they know how we want to be represented. 

If net neutrality is killed, so is our freedom os speech online. Internet service providers such as AT&T, Comcast and Verizon would be able to regulate the websites we view based on who can afford to pay the most, or which political affiliation they agree with most. 

Here’s how we can help:

Call 1-202-418-1000 to reach the chairman of the FCC’s voicemail. All you have to do is leave your name, city, state and your stance on net neutrality. This easy step could help protect the internet as we know it.

But, I know, our generation hates calling. Lucky for us we can text Resistbot who will send our message to representatives for us. Text “Resist” to 50409 and Resistbot will ask a series of short questions. In just two minutes your letter can be sent to Congress. 

Disclaimer: Resistbot will ask for your name and address. This is normal because government officials need to know what area you are from, and letters cannot be anonymous. 

YOUR voice matters, and by following these steps you can play part in saving the freedom of the internet. 

Brooke is an aspiring journalist attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. She has a knack for all things adventurous and food related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or the Campus Times you can find her taking pictures of her award-winning cat or eating various types of cheese.