What I Learned This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

As it is my second to last semester until I graduate, I’ve been extremely busy. Now that I look back on this semester, I’m reflecting on the things I could improve on/continue for the next semester. I’m a list/bullet point person so here are some “what I learned” points:

• Sleep is SO SO important. I’m notorious for not getting sick, but this semester with the workload I took on + the lack of sleep, I got sick almost every month.
  • In relation to sickness, take a lot of vitamin C, and multivitamins in general.
  • Carry around a planner, it helped me through the semester a lot. It kept me on track with my schedule, and it was easily accessible for things to do.
  • Be friends with your professors, especially those of you who plan on going to graduate school. They will be writing recommendation letters, and even job recommendations.
  • Procrastination is either a make it or break it. There are people who work better under major pressure, and there are people who don’t. I wouldn’t know because I was always under major pressure (just kidding).
  • The Honors Program at ULV offers amazing GE classes, that aren’t just GE classes–it is combined with another subject, and creates a unique learning experience. This semester I took my Senior Seminar (a.k.a. my last Honors class!!), and it was pretty cool. Not only did I learn in an academic viewpoint, but also in a personal thought/reflective viewpoint. 
  • The professors at La Verne are A M A Z I N G. They care so much about the students’ well-beings, and love every aspect of the subject they teach.
  • As a person who is horrible at confrontation, I learned how to confront people in a non-violent way. 
  • Take advantage of the free health service offered (only for general check-ups, and free pens of course).
  • Befriend the people in your classes, especially with the ones in your Major. They will be in most of your classes next semester.
  • Handwriting notes actually do help you “know more” than typing the notes on a computer.
  • Take Fitness for Life as early as possible, don’t wait till your last year to take it. Just get done with it.
  • The semester will go by really fast.
  • Teamwork is important. You might hate group work (I do), but put in the effort!!
  • Parking is so much easier with the new parking structure.
  • Having a small campus is a blessing, especially when you’re late to class often.
  • It’s kind of hard to have friendship outside of campus because a lot of the students are commuters.
  • Dorming is a fun experience to make friends with people at school (and so much easier).

I’m sure there’s more, but these are it for now!

Heidi Park is a junior at University of La Verne majoring in Child Development, specializing in Speech Therapy. This is her second year being part of the Her Campus team and has taken the role as Secretary, Blog Editor, and Snapshot Editor. Heidi is currently working in BUSD as a co-teacher, and as a behavior interventionist for ACT. She likes to de-stress by cooking, cleaning, reading, and watching Netflix. In her free time she likes to people watch at Starbucks (or really, anywhere), snack/eat until she is guiltily full, and hang out with the ones she loves. At first glance she may seem/look intimidating but once you get to know her she is a soft marshmallow (especially for dogs, cats, and babies).