This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Now trending: Poké Bowls!

Poké (poh-kay) is a mixture of cubed raw fish marinated in a soy-sauce base, with toppings such as seaweed, avocado, cucumber, masago, onions, imitation crabmeat, sesame seeds, and green onions. It is topped on a bed of rice or mixed greens. For those who like fish, poké can be pretty addicting, but being college students, we can’t afford/don’t have the time to eat out ALL the time. The solution? Make it at home! Tastemade gives us a poké recipe that is easy to follow. To make sure it is delicious, and actually easy, I tried out the recipe.

Ingredients:

For the fish

• salmon fillet (cubed)
  • 5 tbsp soy-sauce
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp sriracha (more if you want it spicier)
  • 2 tbsp green onion (thinly sliced)

For the rice

• 1 cup sushi rice
  • 5 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt (to taste)
  • seasoned seaweed (optional/to taste)

For the toppings (a lot of them are optional)

• avocado (thinly sliced)
  • cucumber slices
  • roasted seaweed sheets (optional)
  • sesame seeds
  • Not listed in ingredients but can add: masago, imitation crabmeat, pineapple, seaweed, onion

Step 1: Cube the fish

Step 2: Add all the ingredients for fish

Step 3: Mix, mix, mix!

Step 4: Cook sushi rice according to the direction on the package.

Step 5: After cooking the rice, add all the ingredients for rice. Mix, but do not overmix, fluff the rice.

Step 6: Place rice in a bowl.

Step 7: Add fish, and toppings of your choice on top of the rice bed.

Step 8: Top it off with extra green onions, or sesame seeds

And DONE!

I got too into making the poké bowl, that I didn’t take pictures of the other steps (4-6)…oops. But here is the result! You can make it prettier, add more toppings, and whatnot. This recipe was super simple to follow, and was also pretty delicious. It took me less than 30 minutes to make this too. Easy, fast, and yummy!

Heidi Park is a junior at University of La Verne majoring in Child Development, specializing in Speech Therapy. This is her second year being part of the Her Campus team and has taken the role as Secretary, Blog Editor, and Snapshot Editor. Heidi is currently working in BUSD as a co-teacher, and as a behavior interventionist for ACT. She likes to de-stress by cooking, cleaning, reading, and watching Netflix. In her free time she likes to people watch at Starbucks (or really, anywhere), snack/eat until she is guiltily full, and hang out with the ones she loves. At first glance she may seem/look intimidating but once you get to know her she is a soft marshmallow (especially for dogs, cats, and babies).