This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

In recent months, we’ve heard news stories reporting allegations made against well-known celebrities in connection with sexual assault. As a topic growing increasingly worrisome, each story should be taken seriously due to the subject it is discussing. Across the globe, hashtags are being made and used so that victims can unite to stand together or combat those who may not believe them.

An article recently came out highlighting a sexual assault claim coming from How to Get Away with Murder star Karla Souza. In this claim, she declared her assaulter was a director she was working with while in Mexico. Souza, along with other popular actresses, has come forward and spoke of sexual misconduct within her acting career. Those who have been lucky enough to never have experienced this misfortune still rally with whatever support they can show.

Just last month, many actresses attending the Golden Globes wore black in support of the Time’s Up movement (a campaign fighting against sexual misconduct in Hollywood and more). This subtle protest was to raise awareness of sexual harassment and the Time’s Up movement, as well as informing others that they are not alone in their stance against the outrageous actions being taken against movie stars. Thankfully, women are not the only ones to make a difference; male Hollywood stars are taking part in this Time’s Up movement by wearing “Time’s Up” pins, showing their understanding and support for victims.

Many men and women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct in Hollywood ever since newspapers highlighted the patterns of abuse made by the prominent producer Harvey Weinstein. With over 50+ women coming forward with allegations against Weinstein (including Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, and Cara Delevingne) women are making an impact on how the industry is addressing the situations. Since then, we hope that any individual who has a story of sexual misconduct to come forward and speak out against their abuser. 

If you would like to take this opportunity to learn more about the Time’s Up movement, an organization of women in the entertainment business who are fighting against sexual harassment and inequality, click here to see their website.

Hello, my name is Javier Lucatero! I'm a School Psychology, PPS masters student at the University of La Verne. Working in the educational field while building my experience for my career, I take part in Her Campus La Verne as a graduate student staff writer. My articles are random, blunt, and debatably very interesting. If you think there's something worth writing about, or feel I should address, let me know (@Javi_Lucatero) and I'll see what I can do! Thanks for reading!