Three Tips to Manage Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

It is midterm week and there is 6 weeks left of school. 

Let’s be honest – this is the time you rush to cram for tests and study past your usual sleeping time. Here are some tips you can use throughout the week to get you through. 

1. Learn to Say ‘No’

A common cause of stress is having too much to do and too little time in which to do it.  Saying no to helping a friend when you’re studying or even putting yourself in a environment where there is no people, can do the best for your studies. This can reduce the level of stress and may help you also set your priorities straight. 

It’s difficult, yes. It’s common to say “yes” to something your friend asks you to do. It might be a fear of conflict or even a missed opportunity – but remember, you are in school to go to school. 

You can say something like this: 

“I’m sorry (friend’s name), I have to study tonight I have a midterm coming up. Please understand I need my time to study.” 

“Now is not a good time for me. Can you ask me maybe in an hour? or two?”

2. Work out

Stress hormones can increase when your body is stressed. It’s common to feel your heart pounding in a stressful situation. However, “physical exercise can be used as a surrogate to metabolize the excessive stress hormones and restore your body and mind to a calmer, more relaxed state,” according to this link.

Whether it’s taking a walk in the middle of class or determining a time out of the day to go to the gym, do that and it’s a guarantee your body will feel more relaxed.

3. Have a stress phrase

Stress phrases are used to calm yourself down. A stress phrase or word is most commonly a word or phrase that makes you happy or bringing positive memories. Ever laugh when you’re tense or stressed? Think of a word you love and it just might help you.

Words such as “calm” “love” and “peace” are common words. In a stressful situation, repeat the word 5 times slowly and steadily. Remember to breath and let go off any tensions when you are saying this word. Only focus on how to say your word.

Don’t worry if you find it difficult to relax at first. Relaxation is a skill that needs to be learned and will improve with practice. These facts are based on this link on the Skills You Need website. 

Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com