Sparking Up Change: Noelle Cozbar ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Noelle Cozbar is not your average ULV student. Her involvement on campus demonstrates her determination to change the world around her for the better. Planning Coordinator for the upcoming SPARK Leadership Conference, Noelle has taken the steps necessary to plan a program that will help other women become inspired so that they may also have the burning desire within their hearts to know they are capable of changing the world. 

Name: Noelle Cozbar

Major: Political Science and Speech Communication

Gradation Date: Spring 2014

Hometown: I was born in Damascus, Syria. I moved to the United States when I was 8 years old. I have lived in Glendora, CA ever since.

Describe yourself in 3 words: Diligent, Courteous, Future-Oriented

ULV involvement:

• SPARK Leadership Planning Coordinator
  • Honors Club
  • SOAR Coordinator 2012
  • Treasurer of Voices In Action
  • President of Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Landis Leadership Scholar

How did you get involved with SPARK? Why is it important to you?

From what was a simple inspirational idea, SPARK Leadership has blossomed over the past couple of months into a full project that aims to leave a legacy of inspiration for La Verne Women. I got involved with planning this conference after having attended a women’s conference at Scripps College. I was inspired by their program and wanted La Verne women to experience the same, doing so to the largest demographic possible. Planning a conference on campus would reach a large number of La Verne women and this reality has been the foundation of the conference, to inspire as many women as possible.

After expressing my idea of a La Verne Women’s Leadership Conference to Dr. Neidleman and Kristin Howland, they were extremely supportive.  I spoke at the Board of Trustees meeting about my experience at Scripps and the possibility of starting a similar conference at La Verne . Since then, I and the other planning committee members who also attended the Scripps conference have been planning SPARK Leadership (MaryAnne Mendoza, Yasmine Andrawis).

SPARK Leadership is important to me because I truly believe in the value of educating and empowering other women.  Women need to be proactive thinkers and allies for other women, and the only way to do so is through effective leadership which is sparked in this conference. Not only does SPARK Leadership provide women with the basic skills they need to achieve success but it hopes to share the value of empowering other women; the fact that, “women helping other women succeed” is the solution to the underrepresentation of women in our society. Together we face obstacles and hardships in our professional and personal lives, and together we can overcome them.

What is your passion and how do you pursue it at the University of La Verne?

My passion aside from politics, religions, and the law is the basic but most necessary act of helping others. I value serving others above all. At the University of La Verne, I find myself always thriving to help others within the various stages of my on-campus involvement.

Whether it is assisting students with registration or advising them on academic decisions, I have found joy in helping ease the stress of college. In the various clubs I am involved in, I have participated in and planned awareness, fundraising, and service events; all of which have contributed to my love for helping others. In Voice in Action, we held multiple awareness booths on Suicide, LGBT issues, and the wellbeing of workers on campus. Once, I planned a community service event called “Paws for Service”, which allowed participants to experience what it is like to be a Housekeeping worker on campus; through this event, we were able to help the Housekeeping workers with their daily tasks for which they appreciated very much.

My involvement with the Honors Club has allowed me to pursue my passion further when we would contribute service hours at Sowing Seeds for Life. Now, planning SPARK Leadership is thus far one of my largest endeavors in helping others.

Now and in the future, I hope to retain the principle of service in my life regardless of the career path I choose, whether it be in politics or the law.

What is the legacy you hope to leave behind you at the University?

There is a quotation that I always hear referenced by University administrators and mentors, which states, “ people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”. This idea has resonated with me throughout my time at La Verne.

Yes, I have been extremely involved on campus and accomplished much more than I have ever imagined I would, however, people will not remember that. Even if people do remember, I would not want to leave a lifeless legacy, a list of accomplishments that do not speak to people’s hearts.

The legacy I want to leave behind is one that is characterized by service, love, and smiles. I have made every effort to treat others with the utmost respect, with a smile on my face and love in my heart.  I am committed to leave a legacy of service and love. I hope others will remember me as, “the girl who always committed her time to new projects and leadership positions on campus yet never fell short of making others feel that they are equally important, always lending a helping a hand when she could.”

Advice for future Leopards?

There is always work to be done to help make this world a better place, therefore, never fall short of trying to improve what you can because together or alone we produce a global ripple effect, a perpetual force of positive change.

In the midst of your busy lives, learn to truly listen in conversations. Ask people questions about their lives and experiences. You will be surprised what people are willing to share and how you will grow as a human being because of the connections you will build with those individuals. 

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.