Review on Secret Deodorant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Now, even I have to admit that I get attracted to a brand based off of advertisements. I don’t mean to but, I can’t help to buy a product based off of the messages of their commercial. An example of this is my new obsession with Secret Deodorant.

Secret, a brand that has been bending the equality gap since 1956, will always be one of my main brands of choice. Granted I’m obsessed with the women empowerment messages the company brings, I also love their products. 

At my age, every little girl’s first brand of deodorant was Teen Spirit. Now at the time, when you reached middle school, you knew you were older when you were given your first padded bra and the Secret deodorant. 

The brand obviously targets women, but it was one of the first companies to target women issues with advertisements, campaigns and commercials. According to the company’s history page, it was invented with the idea of a women’s desire for a product that would contribute to their feelings of femininity, daintiness and freshness. In the 60’s , the company broke down gender norms by implying that women work hard enough to sweat enough as well. It was also targets to keep women cool, calm and self-assured throughout the decade.

By the 70’s , one marketing tag line that they used was, “strong enough for man, but made for women”. A campaign not only to shine a light on equality but a brief reminder that anything men can do, women can do as well and possibly better. 

My obsession with the product came from my youth. I loved the deodorant because of its freshness and the various flavors. From Powder Fresh, Spring Breeze and Sporty Clean the brand could not be stopped. My persona favorite Secret item is the Fresh Invisible items. A women’s worst nightmare is picking the perfect outfit and when they put it on, “ta da” white marks all over the outfit. This particular line removes that problem and still provides the same freshness. The brand also provides clinical strength products  for various occasions and situations. 

What’s better than a brand targeted for women? A brand targeted for women empowerment. Recently the company has been getting applauses for their latest campaign targeting women issues. 

The campaign is called the “Stress Test” and it is  centered around themes of women’s empowerment. 

One commercial is about a woman asking for a raise, another is a woman asking a man to marry her and another even breaks the walls a little about a young transwomen finding the strength to leave the bathroom stall. 

I commend the Secret brand for fighting for equality for over 60 years. Thank you for the amazing products and being a voice that our society needs within the industry! 

Autumn Simon is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is an aspiring publicist. She is a movie junkie and is interested in all things Disney. While she isn't in class she is multicultural chair on the Campus Activity Board, publicist of Shades of Essence, a part time Cast Member at Disneyland, a writer for La Vouge and a writer for the campus' magazine and newspaper.
Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com