This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

As women, we love to shop, shop, and shop some more. Whether it’s buying the same scarf in three different colors, or buying cute journals because you loved the flower power artwork, cute cheetah print, or simply your favorite color. However, in the month of October, now is a great time to declutter and get rid of some items that you no longer use. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, the Abraham Campus Center is hosting a Care Package Drive for patients receiving treatments at the City of Hope. The Drive will take place between Monday, October 10th – Friday, October 21st, which gives you a couple more days to go through some of your old favorite items, and generously donate them to become someone else’s new favorite item.

Some of the items they are collecting for the Drive include: scarves, head scarves and wraps, warm fuzzy socks, journals, unscented lotions, mints and teas. I can almost guarantee some of you have a few of these items laying around your house, collecting dust. Why not thoughtfully put those items to use into the hands of someone else?

As I passed the abundance of flyers posted all around campus, I was instantly inspired. Just in that moment I visually imagined about five different items in my room that I could donate. I don’t use them, might as well give them to someone who would enjoy these items more than the corner of my room. My motivation was tenfold as I decided to spread the word to family, friends and coworkers. My mom, whose family members are fighting their own battles, is a frequent visitor of the City of Hope in Duarte. Ln the past, she donated platelets, a component of the blood which aids in clotting, to stop the bleeding caused from injuries. She in turn quickly collected some items for donation. The next day I get an email from her telling me that her work has decided to start a company fundraiser for the Drive! Within a day, they put together over $200, and went shopping at Smart & Final and various dollar stores to buy some of the listed items, for donation!

I’m still collecting items for the drive, from my boss and a few of my friends. It just goes to show what wonders “spreading the word” can do. There are hundreds of people in our own community and neighboring communities who are battling their own misfortunes in one way or another. It’s like the day old homage, “every day you wake up breathing is a good day.” As we should embrace this positivism, look beyond your own struggles for a day, step out of your comfort zone, and take action to help others. And most importantly, smile, at everyone and anyone you cross paths with. Because you never know what battles they are fighting. I hope this encourages you to become inspired, and to look around your room or home, and ask yourself: is there anything you are willing to sacrifice for someone else who has sacrificed so much?

Other acceptable items include: file organizer, hand sanitizers, beanies, lap blankets, small pillows, puzzle books, and pocket calendars. The goal of the Drive is to collect at least 125 items. No cash donations will be accepted, donate from your heart, not your wallet.

Please bring your items to the Campus Center or the Arts and Communication Building, before Friday, October 21st. Anything you can spare, whether it’s one scarf, one journal, or one blanket, will not only put a big smile on your face, but will put an even bigger smile on someone else’s heart.