This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Valentine’s Day, or as I typically see it, a day in which everyone experiences tons of pressure. Now, you may be reading this thinking “wow, another single, lonely girl wanting to rant about how much Valentine’s Day sucks”, but, I would like to mention now that I do not necessarily hate this romantic holiday, nor do I thrive in the “anti-Valentine’s Day” slogan. This does not mean that I love Valentine’s Day either, I just simply do not care for it. Sure, being in love is great and having that special somebody express their feelings for you, treat you extremely special, and show you off to the world is all amazing and I would love to have all that, but I personally do not see why this one day of the year is so hyped up, specified solely for proving that you are in love. Love, appreciation, and respect for your significant other should not be limited to this one socially accepted day of the year. If you are in love, you should be proving it to your significant other on a daily basis. I cannot stress this enough. Yes, we all love flowers, chocolates, and to be showered with attention on Valentine’s Day, but it means so much more- more authentic, more special, more beautiful- when it is just a simple surprise on any other day, as opposed to a forced means of participating in the standards that are expected every February 14th. 

(gif from googleimages.com)

Obviously many single people feel that there is pressure to date, go out, and be with someone on Valentine’s Day because social media exemplifies that we must be in love, or with loved ones on this holiday, basically anything rather than spending it alone. Social media also emphasizes how much we wish to be in loving relationships, since everyone is showing off their awesome day and cute relationship every other minute on this standardized day. But, if you are single on Valentine’s Day, we need to stop letting society get us down for it because let’s face it, we’re all super great people who just haven’t found our lobsters yet! 

(gif from googleimages.com)

If we could just allow ourselves to distance our standards of Valentine’s Day from the fact that it’s just as any other day, so much pressure would be taken off of everyone and nobody would have to worry about the stereotypical, false expectations of what love is. No more only appreciating your significant other just because society is telling you to on this one random day (take the time to express your love every day). No more getting yourself down because you feel so alone (remember, you just haven’t found the one yet and they’re out there waiting for you). Spread love every day that you can and take advantage of the days you have with those you love- significant others, friends, and family, do not just keep it reserved for February 14th.

Jackie Sanchez

La Verne '20

I am a junior English major, Educational Studies minor at the University of La Verne. I'm a girl who loves to write about things she's passionate about. I have hope that someday this world will be just, equal, and filled with love. My dream is to have a great impact in the lives of those around me, but until then I'm trying to learn and be open to as much as possible. Oh, and I love Disney.