Open Letter to Politicians

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

With general elections coming up on Nov. 4, campaign propaganda has begun to litter street corners. This is how I feel about it. 

Dear Politicians:

I know campaigning has consumed your lives at this point. This letter is a desperate plea from a 20 year old whose greatest pet peeve since childhood has been the litter of campaign signs that line street corners at this time of year.

I know, I know, without campaign signs, no one will recognize any of the names on the ballots. But, is it really better for votes to come from whether people like the color blue and there is a big banner on the corner down the street or for votes to come from people who are educated and informed about your initiatives?

Why do I not see a mad amount of campaign advertisement on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram from local politicians? In the age of technology, why are we wasting the resources it takes to hang up paper signs stuck in the ground with medal stakes when we could electronically, paperless-ly and just darn right more efficiently get messages across via the web.

Let’s be real, barely anyone votes in presidential elections let alone local elections.  Maybe if there was a stronger effort to inform the citizens what is going on with the city, there would be a bigger voting turnout, bigger and better changes, and way less clutter on the city streets.

Just a thought.

Sincerely,Frustrated Citizen

Image Source: 

1) http://pastorrobert-nikos.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.