Midnight Special Movie Review: A Sci-Fi Masterpiece

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Midnight Special:

A Sci-Fi Film for the Ages

If there was ever a film that has filled me with awe and wonder as well as curiosity and amazement, Midnight Special did all these things for me and more. The film stars Michael Shannon as father Roy Tomlin who is on the run with his friend Lucas and son Alton Meyer, who has to wear goggles and avoid sunlight, and is seen as weapon from the government and a savior to a religious cult who are both trying to track him down. This film is more than just a chase film with sci-fi elements. It becomes a layered character study of the things we choose or refuse to understand from the viewpoints of a father, a church, and even a government analyst played terrifically by Adam Driver. And through their different viewpoints and reaction to Alton, whom the audience slowly begins to learn about, there’s still so much mystery as to what Alton really is, and his purpose to wherever he knows he needs to go to. And it’s the very risks that he, Roy, and Lucas go through that makes this movie so special beyond just a sci-fi story. So without further ado, let’s go through the positives and negatives.

Positives:

The Performances – Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Adam Driver, and newcomer Jaeden Lieberher deliver great, believable performances as characters who fear the outcome of their fate, but are willing to accept and carry on because it needs to be done.

Direction/Cinematography – This entire film looks great! Jeff Nichols, who directed sleeper hits Take Shelter and Mud gives this film a great scale and dark tone and look. Many sequences in this film feel perfectly angled and the movement of the camera is swift and never confusing.

Sound editing – Great sound editing all-around from the quiet moments to the smooth transition of the score to the surprising moments of action and intense sequences.

Characters – Every character in this film is important and central to the motion of events taking place in the film. Their progression from beginning to end is one to behold and see and enjoy.

The Mysterious Story – The film kept me thinking and trying to put the pieces together and the fact that the direction of the story challenged me to do so was an amazing experience to have.

Negatives:

Not all questions are answered – There are some plot points that aren’t revisited and that was the one thing that disappointed me in a very small way just because it did feel a little pushed to the side.

Final Grade: A+

Image Courtesy of wegotthiscovered.com, google images.

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)