La Verne Ladies Learn Self Defense

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

University of La Verne women had the opportunity to unleash their inner warrior with a free self-defense class taught by BloodSpiller BJJ on April 9. This event was communications major Kali Williams’ senior project, and Her Campus La Verne had the opportunity to help promote it!

About a dozen women attended the event, ready to get down to business in their active wear. Kali introduced herself and introduced Amanda and Aaron Miller, the instructors for the event. Aaron started out training clients in his garage, building his client base and eventually opening two Bloodspiller gyms: one in Yucaipa and another in Hacienda Heights. Amanda works in Woody Hall as an advisor at the University, and she has been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 10 years. She is Kaila’s advisor, and she offered to be her client for her senior project when everyone else canceled.

The women partnered up for the lessons and followed Aaron and Amanda’s demonstration. The pair performed four self-defense moves, helping the students with their form and cracking jokes along the way. “I really enjoyed it; it was more beneficial than a previous self-defense class I’ve taken before,” Kali said.

Senior communications major Monica Jareugi attended the event to show support for her friend. “My favorite part about the event was getting to practice techniques on an actual person,” she said.

Her Campus La Verne definitely had a fun time working with Kaila on her project! We wish her the best of luck as she graduates in just a few weeks!

Much like the Disney character, I don't let society define who I am & I always do what I think is right. Communications/Public Relations major, Class of 2019 at the University of La Verne. I aspire to learn from the best to better serve the world we live in by creating clear messages for the public.