This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

While most collegiettes have packed (and unpacked) for their fall semester in the states, I am packing for a semester across the pond at University of Gloucestershire. Although the premise is the same – buy new supplies, pack them up, take them to school – the details are very different. Imagine everything you packed for school. Now imagine fitting it all into one checked bag, one carry-on and a backpack. Welcome to the reality of packing for study abroad!  

According to my recent research, the following items are essential for a fall semester filled with travel during the rainy season:

Sturdy Shoes

Good walking shoes and solid boots were at the top of my list while I shopped for England. Like most students and thrifty travelers I plan to walk everywhere, and for this reason, comfort and protection from the rain are very important. Invest in cute walking shoes like these if you can splurge a bit, or these if you’re on a budget. Boots are a bit tricky, but look for quality leather and good traction.

A Good Coat

Like shoes, a sturdy coat is also a necessity — especially in constantly changing weather. Make sure that it will keep you warm, dry and comfortable wherever you go. Choose a solid, neutral color so that it doesn’t clash with other clothing. Remember that in Europe, less is more.

Layered Clothing

Choose clothing that can easily be layered to ensure outfits for all weather and occasions. Start with a base of light tank tops and v-neck t-shirts, and then move on to knit sweaters and cardigans. Take a few pairs of tights that will go with all of your dresses and skirts, and take two pairs of jeans – one for casual days and one for nights out. If possible, stick to a single color palette and neutrals to ensure a versatile wardrobe.

Over-the-Shoulder Bag

Before you leave, find a crossbody bag that zips shut. This will deter pickpockets and will look adorable. There are many kinds on the market – from designer to thrift shop – but find one that is comfortable, fashionable and functional. I’ll be sporting a Fossil Explorer Crossbody for my trip, but I’m also crushing on a Fossil Morgan Traveler!

Room Essentials

These items vary depending on your living situation and what they will provide, but there are a few basic items that always come in handy. Be sure to take a set of sheets and towels so that upon arrival you can sleep or take a shower (hello jetlag and airplane smell). You can always buy another set of each or have them shipped once there. Also, take some favorite photos and washi tape with you. Once settled, you can use them to decorate an otherwise boring room.

Ship or Buy These Later

There are a ton of items that you’ll wish you could fit into that check-in, but it’s simply not going to happen. Instead, have someone from home ship items like school supplies (binders, paper, notebooks, etc.), or buy them where you are studying. Toiletries can also become heavy and take up space, so put travel sized shampoo/conditioner/soap into your luggage  and then buy regular size bottles later.

Hopefully this list helps a bit with any packing conundrum you may have, and keep checking back for more posts about adventures abroad!

Hayley Hulin is a junior journalism major at the University of La Verne, but is taking her studies abroad this fall semester to rainy England. While she isn't studying, Hayley will be writing for her university blog, HC and Darling Magazine about traveling, experiencing new things and eating great food! Once finished with her fall adventure, Hayley is excited to reunite with her Phi Sigma Sigma sisters, Renew Christian Club and family.