Fun Things to do Around La Verne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

I don’t know about you, but summer breaks keep getting shorter, and getting back into the groove of school is getting way harder! I mean its only September and I’m already counting down the days to Christmas break!

So here are some fun ideas and places to try out to help with the “semester blues”.

1). Grizzby’s Donuts Dessert Bar

The first place that I’ve recently tried out was Grizzby’s Donuts new dessert bar! Located in downtown Claremont, this new dessert bar just recently opened at the donut shop. Usually the shop closes at 3 PM but on certain nights they reopen from 7 PM to 11 PM with some fun dessert options.

Food is DEFINITELY the way to my heart and trying some fun and exciting spots with my roommates and friends definitely help with the semester stresses.

2). LA County Fair

The Fair started this month and will continue to be a fun place to go during the semester until September 24th! From the fried Oreos to the cutest SLOTH EVER, there is plenty to do and see with a group of friends.

I don’t know about you, but a day filled with cute animals., fun rides, and great food, is the perfect stress relief from the work waiting for me at home!

3). The Beach 

We still have a couple of hot months left here in SoCal and one of my favorite places to be is the beach! When I am really stressed out and just can’t focus on the book or paper in front of me, I will pack up my bag and head to the Newport or Laguna. I find that I can focus and feel a lot less stressed when doing my homework in the sand, AND it’s a nice and fun place to be when you finish up that assignment!

4).  Amtrak

Finally, if you just want to explore SoCal and get away from campus, using the Amtrak station in Pomona is the perfect solution! It’s the perfect mode of transportation if you’re car-less, and you can take day or night trips to just about anywhere! I’ve taken the Amtrak to LA and Pasadena with friends and it is always a fun trip without the hassle of traffic! In LA, you get off at Union Station and walk out right across from Old Town Mexico (where you can get the BEST food ever). In Pasadena, you get to walk around Old Town Pasadena, where there are lots of fun shops and food spots to go to. 

Los Angeles Union Station 

Old Town Pasadena

So if the semester has already worn you down try out some of these places with some friends and take a moment for yourself! You’ll be happier and you’re homework will still be there when you get back. 

Taylor is a psychology major (and a One Direction enthusiast) attending the University of La Verne in Southern California. When she isn't studying, you can find her reading and binge-watching Peaky Blinders or The Resident.