A Freshman’s Guide to La Verne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

With the semester well underway oftentimes the honeymoon phase of orientation and syllabi week begins to fade and the real transition into college life begins. Here are a few tips and tricks on how to survive La Verne this fall.

1. Avoid the junk at Davenport

It is your first time eating away from the comforts of home and that slice of pepperoni pizza looks like it will provide all of the comfort you need but… STOP! All of the stories about the freshmen fifteen are true, and it all begins with pizza. Even if the lines are super long at Davenport and pizza is the quickest way to get sustenance between classes, hop on over to the salad bar for an even quicker getaway. Plus, going to DP during the off hours is an even better way to go. Grab a to-go box and stock up on some healthy snacks like fruit, yogurt and granola, or even sliced veggies and dip for later! Get the most out of that meal plan!

2. Actually join the clubs you signed up for at club fair

Club fair was last Wednesday and getting involved is one of the best ways to establish yourself on campus. Since La Verne is such a small school it is easy to become a big fish in a small pond if you put the effort in. Step outside of your comfort zone and check out the meeting for the club that you were interested in. Even if it means you go alone and take a big risk, college is all about pushing you to that extra step and becoming more independent. Do it for yourself, and who knows you might end up meeting your future best friends in that club! You’ll never know if you don’t try!

3. Text, call and write home

Sooner rather than later you will have that sinking “I miss my ___” feeling. Whether it’s your mom, your dog, your fish or your brother, it is better to just admit it to yourself and call them than to wallow in self-pity. Being away from home for the first time can be difficult, but if you put in the effort to stay in touch not only will your parents feel confident that you’re not out raging every night (even if you are), you will feel comforted by the fact that they are just a phone call away.

4. Relax and have some fun!

This might sound cliché and lame, but it is true. With the hustling and bustling between guitar class, dinnertime and biology lab it is easy to blow everyone off because you are busy. Here’s the thing about college… everyone is busy, you are not alone. It is important that you let yourself kick back every once in a while and take a break to watch a movie or grab yogurt at Granny’s with a friend. As long as you are getting your work done, it is important to give yourself a few nights a week that are reserved for time for you and your friends.

Freshmen year might seem overwhelming at first, but at the end of the day it is all about learning as you go and finding other people to lean on. So grab your day planner and kick this year’s butt!  

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.