This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

At the University of La Verne, orientation week for freshmen started on August 29, 2016. As cheesy as it may sound, the experience was life changing.

Back in high school, my routine consisted of waking up an hour early for my zero period, school for 7 hours, and practice or work for an hour. I’d pick up my sister from school, go straight home, and do homework until dinnertime. College is a complete 360 from what I was used to, and it was a change I welcomed with open arms. Here are some of the major changes I’ve experienced during my first week at ULV.

1. Living on campus

I am really excited to be living on campus. I live about an hour away from La Verne, and I didn’t want to commute every single day in my old 1998 Corolla that could break down any minute. Living on campus gave me freedom and independence because I can literally do whatever I want without having to do the usual house chores for my family. Of course I’d have to clean up after myself because we had a community kitchen and bathroom. However, taking care of myself and focusing on me was something I haven’t experienced before because I had a lot of responsibilities to my family as the eldest child. I don’t really experience homesickness like my floormates do because my family picks me up from school once in a while to spend the weekend at home.

2. Orientation week activities

Orientation lasted about 5 days, and every day was filled with so many fun activities. Everyone was shy and playing it cool, but the number one thing I learned is to just go with the flow because the OWLs (Orientation Week Leaders) are working so hard to try to make everything as entertaining as possible. There was a LOT of free food, games, workshops and lectures about academics, and even karaoke night and a dance. Orientation week was definitely worth it, although I was so tired from everything we did every night.

3. Making new friends

Making a whole new batch of friends was one of the things I disliked about coming to ULV. Nobody I knew were at the University, and I was worried that I’ll end up being a loner. Turns out, I really had nothing to worry about because I made a lot of new friends during orientation week and I have a whole floor full of people I can get used to. My roommate and I matched really well and she’s the sweetest person ever. She became the one person I stuck to most of the first week because I haven’t reached out to others yet, but after a couple of weeks, I was able to make more friends in my classes and on my floor. My floor has gotten along so well, we basically do everything together as much as we could. We even eat meals together as a “family” and have TV nights where we watch Stranger Things and AHS.

4. FLEX program

At La Verne, they have this program called the Freshman Learning Experience (FLEX) for students in their first semester. The director of this program bundled together two core classes and a writing class. Students could choose a bundle of classes along with another class of their choice. Students in the same FLEX would have all the same classes together, creating an immediate community of friends. I chose the Photography and Mass Media FLEX because I am a Communications major. My classmates and I work together and support each other very well.

5. College classes

College classes in general are much better (in my opinion) than high school classes. You have more control over the classes you take and the times you take them. No more 7 hours of required classes every single day, and no more boring classes (unless you get locked out of the classes you wanted to get). You get to go to the bathroom without asking and eat in class without being yelled at (as long as you don’t disrupt the class of course). Everyone is professional and respectful because we all have a similar goal: to get our degrees and move on with our lives.

Although it hasn’t even been a complete month of college, I have fallen in love with college life and with the University of La Verne. I enjoy being able to choose the subjects I learn, which clubs I join, and which people I surround myself with. ULV has a strong sense of community and moral values, and I’m proud to call myself a Leo. I’m excited for the rest of my experience here at La Verne!

Much like the Disney character, I don't let society define who I am & I always do what I think is right. Communications/Public Relations major, Class of 2019 at the University of La Verne. I aspire to learn from the best to better serve the world we live in by creating clear messages for the public.