Everybody Wants Some Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

(Image courtesy of ramascreen.com)

Everybody Wants Some: The Spiritual Sequel to Dazed and Confused We’ve been waiting for

The great Richard Linklater has returned after his massively successful “Boyhood” and has returned to his original roots of comedy with “Everybody Wants Some.” This film is set in the 80’s and follows baseball jocks at a Texas college for the weekend, and what starts off as a familar tone of the new kid in new roots coming of age story, it gets a new and refreshing feel that could only be done by the brilliant writing and direction of Richard Linklater. He creates fantastic dialogue and comedy to make everything in this film feel so real and fun, whether or not an audience can relate to the feel of the college atmosphere this film evokes. So without further ado, let’s go over the pros and cons.

Positives:

Witty Dialogue: Every piece of dialogue here is fantastic, whimsy and hilarious. I was either chuckling or laughing out loud at the ridiculous jokes throughout the movie. What made it all the more enjoyable are the little moments of relateability and familiarity of what’s being said by each character.

The cast: This is a new and enjoyable cast to watch on screen. Each actor gives a believable performance and I found myself liking what each actor brought to the table with their unique, familiar but somewhat original take on their roles.

The film has heart: This film also has its moments of heart and realism as it has its own commentary on the reality and fantasies of college social life. It gives life and personality to characters who would’ve been one dimensional in other films, and Linklater does a fantastic job in his writing of that.

Negatives: 

Run time: The film is maybe 5-10 minutes too long.

Final Grade: A

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)