England’s Finest Five: Restaurants You Should Try While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Anyone who has studied abroad or traveled knows that a major part of your journey is spent eating. Don’t get me wrong, you’re going to want to explore, meet local people…preferably cute available ones with accents…and we all know we secretly hope for the whole Lizzie McGuire, “mistaken identity, instant pop star” moment to happen. So if you plan on doing any of that, you’re going to have to do some serious eating to keep you going.

While I was living and studying in Cheltenham, England for 6 months, I tried my best to find delicious food at a college student, or as the English say, “Uni. student,” price point. After eating my way through most restaurants in town, these are my top 5 must try places that will leave you with some extra shopping money for those shoes that you must have, no matter how little space there is left in your suitcase.

#1 — Café Nero

I definitely had a sweet, Italian romance with Café Nero. You can find one of these Italian coffee shops on about every corner of England and even underground in the Tube stations. They sell a variety of interesting drinks, baked goods, and sandwiches like Milano hot chocolate. Yes, Milano, as in those delicious cookies. I recommend getting a stamp card on your first visit because you will come back and you will earn that free drink. My go-to drink was the white chocolate mocha with whip cream, caramel and Belgian chocolate sprinkles.

#2 — Coming in a strong second is Nandos

This Portuguese and Mozambican restaurant offers the best chicken and Peri-Peri sauce that could ever be consumed. They are famous for their sauces, which you order according to how much spiciness you can handle. 

They also have a phrase that went viral, “a cheeky Nandos.” This viral sensation had Americans wondering what “a cheeky Nandos” was and if you still happen to be one of those Americans…

Urban Dictionary defines “a cheeky Nandos” as:

“When you’re out with the lads and you’re having a look in JD and you might fancy the Curry Club at ‘Spoons but then your mate Callum who’s an absolute ledge and the Archbishop of Banterbury says “Oi brevs let’s have a cheeky Nandos instead” and you’ll think “Top. Let’s smash it.”

More confused? 

Okay, so basically you would use this term when you’re feeling a little hungry and want to get a quick bite to eat with some friends at Nandos, “a cheeky Nandos.” It’s like our “McDonalds run.”

I loved their chicken pita pocket with a side of Peri Peri fries.

#3 — Boston Tea Party

How could I not go into a restaurant with a name like that? No, they do not only sell tea, although, they do make a delicious chocolate tea that pairs perfectly with a freshly baked scone. This 3 story restaurant is where English hipsters go to take artsy pictures of their food and chill with board games on the sofas upstairs. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the kettle is always ready for tea. I dare you to leave this place without a dessert in your hand or in your belly. The counter surrounding the cash registers is filled with a selection of freshly baked goods. My personal favorite and top seller, was the carrot cake.

#4 — Wagamamma

Not only is this really fun to say but it is also the place to get delicious Oriental cuisine and vegetarian dishes. I found a few of these restaurants in London and by Windsor Castle. I loved their fried rice with chicken and miso soup.

#5 — JD Wetherspoon “Spoons”

Wetherspoon is the best place to go if you aren’t quite sure what you’re in the mood for, but you’re starving. Their menu ranges from Mexican burgers, fish and chips, pancakes, chicken strips, pasta alfredo, ceasar salad, and even salmon and cream cheese bagels. “Spoons” is also a pub and is filled with life and students in the evenings. 

This was from my first time in “Spoons,” I had just left the Queen’s castle in Windsor and ordered the ham and eggs with “chips.” 

Some last words before you go raid your kitchen and pantry: 

• When eating out in England, you need to go to the register to order your food.
  • Mayonnaise is their most popular condiment and is used on their chips. (fries) So you need to ask for ketchup.
  • If no one came to take your order, you are not supposed to tip. 
  • CAUTION: Your suitcase won’t be the only thing that gets heavier.

Have any other study abroad food recommendations? Tweet us @HCLaVerne!

Gabriella Chikhani, Gabby to her friends and family, is the Senior Editor for the La Verne chapter of Her Campus. She has lived and studied in England and hopes to work as a journalist there someday. Gabby's favorites include: Disneyland, Lush, London, Demi Lovato, Horchata, rain boots and winged eyeliner. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @BritishWannabee
Kristina Bugante is the Campus Correspondent for HC La Verne. She is currently finishing her final year at the University of La Verne and will receive a B.A. in journalism in the spring of 2016. In addition to Her Campus, Kristina is a staff photographer for her school's publications and a news intern for a Los Angeles television news station. When she's not living and breathing journalism, Kristina likes funny Vines, food, catching up on her YouTube subscriptions and singing quietly to herself in her car.