Easter and the Holiday of Lent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

In many Christian families, the religious holiday of lent is a tradition that goes hand in hand with Easter. 

Lent is a holiday to replicate the struggle Jesus Christ endured during his journey through the desert for 40 days. During his journey he was tempted many times by the devil and to commemorate this many Catholics as well as other religions such as Anglicans and Lutherans, deny themselves of certain luxuries of daily life and fast during the day. 

Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and is preceded by Fat Tuesday, Fat Tuesday is also known as Mardi Gras and is a holiday of “fattening up” before the fasting and period of self discipline of lent. 

During this period the many people notice the local McDonald’s start displaying “Filet-O-Fish Friday” banners to accommodate Catholics, who cannot eat red meat during lent. 

Many Catholics take up the tradition of giving one specify thing up during lent to demonstrate their self control. During lent many make it a goal to have daily prayers, or read daily devotionals to strengthen their relationship with God.

The end of lent is marked six weeks later, with the Holy Week. The Holy Week celebrations mark the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and are celebrated to teach about the events of the New Testament.

Palm Sunday is the week prior to Easter, which progresses to Good Friday to commemorate the death of Christ and ends with Easter Sunday or the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ.

On Easter, many Christian choose to celebrate the ressurection of Jesus Christ with large get togethers with lots of food to commenmorate the sacrifice put forth for them. These celebrations are what lead to the various Easter symbols that mnay are familiar with. Although many consider Easter as a holiday for rabbits, colored eggs and chocolate, to millions across the world it is an event of much more significance.