Do’s and Don’ts of Blind Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Whenever an event comes around that requires a date, I get a nauseated feeling in the pit of my stomach. The single girl struggle that many of us face is all too real, but when it turns into a rut of complaints, there comes a time when you have to shake it up a bit. After going on a blind date with my roommate’s boyfriend’s best friend for a sorority semi-formal, I learned that dating someone you have never met before can be surprisingly refreshing. Going on a blind date might seem scary or sketchy at first, but really they are a great way to get dating experience and actually have a great time—as long as you follow these do’s and don’ts to stay safe and avoid talking about why you didn’t get asked to your senior prom.

Do get setup by a trusted friend

When it comes to blind dates, always make sure that the person who sets you up with your lucky bachelor or bachelorette has your best interest in mind. A trusted friend will be sure to set you up with someone that you might actually have chemistry with instead of possibly putting you in an awkward or embarrassing position.

Do meet at a public place

Spending time with a stranger can seem really dangerous, especially if you are going over to their place to meet up. It is also a good idea to drive your own car so then you aren’t stranded if your date picks you up. Publically meeting up ensures that you won’t be placed in a potentially risky situation, but still be wary and have friends on standby to intervene if need be. It may be even better to meet up in groups of friends the first time. That way, when conversations hit a lull, you aren’t one-on-one and there are friends around to remove stress from the atmosphere.

Do step out of your comfort zone

I can really be a downer when it comes to going out and meeting new people, which is why going out with a stranger forced me out of my comfort zone. As I got ready for my blind date, my stomach was full of dread wondering what I had gotten myself into. Forcing myself to do something that I considered to be a little crazy ultimately taught me a great lesson: every single person you meet gets you a little closer to figuring out exactly what you are looking for, plus flirting with strangers is super fun. Don’t be afraid to meet new people, go out line dancing, try a new restaurant—dating is supposed to be fun, which is why leaving your dorm and getting out into the world is important.

Don’t talk about your senior prom

Sometimes stories start pouring out of your mouth before you even realize that you are whining about the fact that you couldn’t get a date to your senior prom. Don’t make the same mistake that I made; complaining about something like prom is probably not going to be the key to his heart considering high school was over a couple of years ago. Talking about anything that makes you seem bitter is not the right foot to start on with a new prospect. Keep conversation lighthearted and flirtatious because getting too deep or opening up too much dilutes that mystery you have as being a stranger. When you start talking about something that you know you will immediately regret, just quickly change the conversation to how tasty the food is and soon you will have saved yourself from embarrassment.

Don’t laundry list your accomplishments

Meeting someone for the first time opens up the opportunity for those basic get-to-know-you questions. Where are you from? What is your major? What kind of stuff do you do in your free time? All of these questions present opportunities for you to talk about yourself, a good thing because usually those are pretty easy to answer. Plus, if your date is asking questions like these then they are obviously interested in getting to know you better. On the flip side, questions like these can blow up in your face if you aren’t careful because they present the opportunity for us fabulous collegiettes to list all of our accomplishments. All in one sentence, I told my date about how I am on student government, write for the campus newspaper and traveled abroad to Ecuador: this is a lot of information. Try not to overwhelm the kind stranger sitting in front of you or have your date feel like an interview. You aren’t applying for a job, you are trying to connect with a human, and unless you are a robot, no amount of qualifications can help you find the perfect mate; it is all about the chemistry.

Don’t get friend zoned

The awkward feeling of a blind date can easily allow you to channel your feelings into becoming buddies instead of forming a potential relationship. The blind date should not be something you feel like you have to survive while it is happening; otherwise, it is probably not the person for you. There is nothing wrong with not connecting with someone, but if it is someone you could see yourself dating, don’t allow yourself to reveal everything you are thinking and end up in the friend zone. The easiest way to get friend zoned is by actually being too nice. Make sure to maintain your mystery, while keeping your date on their toes.

Now get out there and blind date away!

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.