Compliments That Aren’t About a Person’s Physical Appearance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Society’s way of telling our impressionable generation to act, dress, and behave a certain way has changed the way we view ourselves and one another. 

Reflect back on your last compliment. Was it about the $200 Michael Kors purse you just bought? Or how about your new and overpriced shirt? Or was it about your newly threaded “on-fleek” eyebrows? Living in such an expanding society, it’s not easy to stray away from popular demands or give into society’s ultimatum – “Be pretty or Be gone.” However, we as people need not only to remember there is more to a person from the outside, but remember that physical apperance won’t always be there – but a person’s mindset will. 

It is said that “Beauty fades, but intelligence lasts a lifetime.” Whereas outside beauty can fade while integellience can be beautiful at any age in time. 

So here are some compliments you can give to your loved ones that aren’t about physical appearance. 

1. You have great taste in _____. 

Being told you have great taste in ANYTHING is worth your time listening. If you share an interest with someone – there’s a connection. If you like the same things with someone – you make a interesting friend and you can share what you like together. 

2. You’re so good at _______. 

Congratulations! When you hear this, you are probably good at something! Whether it’s face painting or making great accents – you’re good at something. And that should be worth something. 

3. You’re such a good _______.

I don’t know about you guys… but personally, me being told I’m good at ANYTHING makes me feel a little more worth in this world. We strive for so many things in life and it’s good to stop the person once in a while and tell them they’re doing a great job. Trust. It will make anyone’s day. 

4. You’re funny, You’re so fun to be around.

Ever heard laughter is the best medicine? It’s true! Don’t doubt the idea! Personally for me, making people laugh makes me happy. Just knowing you are capable of putting a smile on that person’s face makes your day a lot better. So being told you’re funny is a good thing!

5. You’re a good friend. 

Being told you’re a good friend is the ultimate compliment. Because from that person’s point of you – you yourself see yourself newly as a good friend. Being a friend to someone has the connotation of you doing your best for them, being there for them, and making time to be their friend. They simply enjoy your company and it’s really nice to hear that – and to know you’re being appreciated. 

6. I can trust you with my passwords – I can trust you with anything. 

Being told you’re being trusted with something – YOU ON A ROLL KID. You need to keep that trust, shove it in a box, lock it and throw the key away! Never betray someone’s trust. It’s just not right. You are entitled to the trust!

7. I appreciate you in my life and I enjoy spending time with you. 

A simple thank you is enough for this one – a genuine thank you. It’s nice to know someone in your life appreciates your presence and it’s great to know you’re being recognized. 

8. I’m so proud of you. 

This line is especially popular for your parents to say to you. It’s a 5 word story within itself. Someone being proud of you is saying they appreciate and admire what you are doing with your life at the moment and to have the intent of staying that way. It’s like a “Hey you’re doing a good job – now keep at it.” 

9. You smell good. 

Being told you smell good is like saying you are pleasant to be around. It’s also another way of saying that person is attractive – without actually saying it. So hey! Whip out those nose hairs and nostrils to smell all the good people in the world.

10. I think you’re the best version that you can be. 

You are the best version you can be at this point in time. I”m a firm believer we as people are just doing whatever we can at this particular moment. It’s needed to appreciate ourselves and the people around us with as much encouragement as we can. Who cares? Give yourself a SELF FIVE. You’re doing a fantastic job. 

We’re humans. We have the ability to feel any emotion. Whether it’s happy or depressed – getting a compliment every now and then is a good thing. We are insecure on many levels – our weight, our work, even in our home life – we feel everything. It’s normal! But what should be normal is to remind your loved ones the beauty within – not on the outside. Let them know they shine without makeup on, without the supercial lighting on them – that they are perfectly fine the way they are. 

The point is, even if one can never be able to be completely pleased with how one looks, one is still a perfectly worthy and beautiful person. It’s important to love oneself for everything one has as everyone will be able to find someone else who does as well. It’s nice to give compliments to people you care about, people you admire, without making them feel they have to look a certain way – that just being themselves is ENOUGH. 

Image courtesy of Flickr, Caroline Caldwell 

Here to report everyday news and make it interesting. Spicing up a twist on my daily sass to put some flavor in my articles. Enjoy your read. Arcadia High School Graduate University of La Verne Attendee   Check me out!  Instagram: gowiththeflo_ra See what I like to blog? floraawong.tumblr.com Personal questions? Email me: floraw1997@gmail.com