Chelsea Stark-Jones tackles the world of sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Name: Chelsea Stark-Jones

Year Graduated: 2013

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Occupation: NFL Features Production Assistant

How did you get involved with working at the NFL Network?

NETWORKING! Before working at the NFL, I interned at KCAL/KCBS Sports; and built several professional relationships with people there. I created a good reputation for myself, by working hard and showing interest and was given a good reference to a producer at the NFL. I nailed my interview and started interning there for the 2011 season. A month after my internship ended I got a call back to work half time in the features department while still in school.

Describe a day in the life of a production assistant at the NFL Network.

The responsibilities vary! Some days I could be collecting footage, going through tapes, transcribing interviews for feature producers. On most days I get to interview NFL current and/or former players, produce my own pieces, as well as assist producers in their edits. Another responsibility of an NFL production assistant is to stay up to date with the current events in the NFL, so that I can pitch stories to my superiors that can possibly air on TV. There is nothing more exciting and rewarding than seeing a piece I produced or pitched air on national television!

What advice would you give to a woman looking to get involved with the world of sports? What challenges do you face as a woman working in what is thought of as the “man’s world” of sports?

I could go on and on about this topic! But I guess I’ll just do the key points. First, know what you’re talking about. As a female in this industry you’re already underestimated. It sucks and it’s unfortunate but it’s the truth and you have to work with it. You may know more than the man next to you but because he’s a man they are going to assume he knows more. As long as you know what’s going on in the world of sports and you have an opinion to back it, you’re golden.

Second, confidence! There have been many meetings where I’ve had great ideas but because I was the youngest and ONLY female in the room I kept it to myself. That was dumb of me; I’ve learned that you need to speak up, and that no idea is a dumb idea. In those kinds of meetings you want to bounce ideas off each other, so your thought could be the starting point to something great!

Third, representation; this has been a struggle for me. I’m myself 100 percent of the time! And what I love about myself is how complex I am; there’s not just one Chelsea Stark-Jones, there are many (but not in a crazy psychotic way). When you’re at work, you have to carry yourself in a professional manner ALL the time—from how you’re dressed to how you talk to how you treat people. As a woman in a workplace dominated by men you’re put under a microscope. If you’re stern you’re a “b*tch,” if you’re too nice you’re a pushover, if you’re “beautiful” you’re the object of a male’s desire.

None of this is fair, and our male counterparts don’t have to deal with any of this. But like mentioned before it is what it is and we have to take a stand and deal with it.

How did your education at the University of La Verne help you prepare for your career, and what are some key tips you have for communications majors?

Being a broadcast journalism major at La Verne I was a part of many documentaries, and for my Senior Project produced, hosted and wrote two sports documentaries and working in features is a lot like working on documentaries. You’re telling a story, interviewing people, editing, etc.

One year later (with confidence being one of your signature traits), what advice would you give to any undergraduate women about the rest of their time at La Verne that you wish you had known?

JUST DO YOU! I don’t know what it was that made me realize this but these four years, hell even the four years after college are meant exclusively for YOU!! Do what makes you happy, what makes you smile, dance cause you want to, take that position in ASULV, join a sorority, make new friends, go out and wear lipstick and five-inch heels, hit on a guy don’t wait for him to come to you. If you want something go and get it and be PROUD of it! Don’t let anyone tell you it’s wrong or it’s against the rules. If you know that in that moment it’s going to make you happy than you better do it! Cause life is short and your twenties are even shorter.

Also, enjoy every single moment of being at La Verne because as happy as I am right now with where I am in life, I miss college! I miss the late nights, I miss sitting in my apartment with my best friends drinking wine and laughing till we cry. I miss the crazy nights at upperclassman’s houses doing hoodrat things with my friends. I miss studying for mid-terms and finals, I miss arguing with my parents about how important going to intermurals at 10 p.m. was. I miss the PTD Toga and Halloween parties. I miss La Verne formal circa 2011, I miss that one time at LaVernapalooza…..I think you get it. Just live it up!!! It’s amazing how much fun you can have in four short years if you allow yourself to.

Kellie Galentine is a journalism major at the University of La Verne in California. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus at La Verne and is one of the founders of her campus' chapter. Kellie is also a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority.