Captain America Civil War Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Captain America: Civil War

Marvel’s Cinematic Triumph

(All Images Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly/Google Images)

Let’s get into what worked and didn’t work for Marvel’s 13th feature film in its Cinematic Universe.

Positives:

The Conflict:

Taking some inspiration from the acclaimed comic story line, the central conflicts involving the Winter Soldier as well as Cap and Iron Man’s divide over the Sokovia Accords, a national document assembled after an incident involving the Avengers and collateral damage. Everything comes full circle, and what makes this conflict stand out is that there’s a clear understanding of why each character would choose the side that they believe is right. As an audience member, we become engaged and divided ourselves and that’s a great example of a strong screenplay.

Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans:

The leading stars bring their A+ game this time, giving us complex performances as two leaders divided and conflicted with their pasts and how that ultimately defines and challenges what they believe in now. Specifically Downey Jr. delivers a performance that feels more human and three-dimensional than ever before, and that’s saying something given that he’s been the best thing about the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the past eight years.

Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Ant-Man:

These three are the characters that steal the show and demand your full awe and attention as they each have different personas and abilities that stand out as entertaining, funny, and just plain badass! They steal every scene they’re in with their charisma and energy!

THAT AIRPORT SEQUENCE! :

The Russo brothers deliver the best action sequence in any comic book film ever and it is truly something to behold. Every character has their moment to shine and the stunt choreography is off the charts and deserves massive praise. This will be a scene that will go down in history as one of Cinema’s most epic moments!

The other action sequences : 

Every action scene in this film feels real and is so fun to watch and its only until the end that the fighting turns more brutal than any other marvel film we’ve seen before. The final fight scene delivers an emotional punch that we didn’t see coming.

The Plot Twist:

In one of the film’s most heart wrenching and shocking moments, we get a scene that turns the tables and prepares us for a film universe that’ll change everything.

The Villain:

At first, the villain of the film seems like your run-of-the-mill nutcase who will serve no purpose in the end. However, Daniel Bruhl gives us a villain that becomes more and more layered as the film continues and we get a fully fleshed character who is sympathetic and haunted by the means of his tragic past.

Negatives:

Crossbones- For someone who was advertised for a while, any longtime fan of this marvel baddie will surely be disappointed with the amount of screen time he’s given.

Scarlet Witch and Vision – The two characters feel like their sole purpose was to introduce a romantic chemistry that would’ve otherwise been missing from the film. Although Scarlet Witch is more vital to the story, Elizabeth’s Olsen on and off accent and very one-dimensional role of the misunderstood and confused sense of purpose and accountability is something we’ve seen a thousand times in other films.

Captain America towards the end of the film – The character’s actions become very questionable and infuriating towards the end, as what his character is supposed to stand for seems thrown out the window. Whether this was intentional or not, it feels contradictory to what has been set up as his character arc throughout the trilogy. What was a character that was more of a fighter for mankind and others, he is developed into someone who seems more selfish and stubborn in his own actions, contradicting everything he’s ever stood for. 

Final Grade: A+

I love reading, writing and especially watching films :) Movies and writing about them inspire to dream beyond reality :)