Campus Celebrity: Brittany Yaxley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Brittany Yaxley is our captain for the University of La Verne’s women’s volleyball team. She is best known for her hard work and dedication as well as helping us beat one of our toughest competition schools, Cal Lutheran, this year. Find out below what makes this determined and strong-willed captain as well as her team so great and how they are succeeding this season!

What year student are you and what is your major/minor(s)?

I am a senior and my major is Liberal Studies. Although, when I graduate I am not planning to pursue teaching, I am trying to pursue event planning and photography.

How long have you been on ULV’s volleyball team?

I have been on ULV’s volleyball team all four years, and have been a starter all four years as well!

Have you played this sport previously before ULV? Or is this the first time you have been on a team? Volleyball team?

I’ve been playing volleyball since my freshman year of high school. My mom told me I should try out to be more social in high school. I played soccer and track in high school as well, and soccer was my main priority. I was going to quit volleyball after my freshman year of playing because all my other friends quit and I just wanted to play soccer, but I ended up making varsity volleyball so I stuck with it and fell in love with it more than any other sport I had ever played.

What do you enjoy most about playing on our girl’s volleyball team at ULV and what made you want to join the team?

The thing I enjoy most about our volleyball team is how much of a family we are. We seriously have each other’s backs and are there for everyone. We are all friends with everyone on the team and there is no drama between us. I truly feel like they are my second family. Oh, and winning doesn’t hurt either! I wanted to join the team because a former Glendora High school alum Randi Taylor-Toomay went there. She was a senior when I was a freshman at GHS and she taught me so much and saw so much potential in me. She Facebook messaged me asking where I was playing in college, and I responded saying nowhere because I did not think I was good enough to play in high school. So she was like “you’re crazy! You’re coming to La Verne!” When I visited I fell in love with the campus and the legacy that the volleyball team has had in the past.

Why do you think you were made captain of your team?

I think I was made captain because I work really hard and I lead by example. I think people look up to me based on my work ethic and my competitive spirit. I want to win more than anything, and I will do anything to make sure that happens. I hold people accountable, because a team is only as strong as their weakest player. Great teams have a winning mentality and work ethic, and I always make sure I am following that and my team is following that as well.

What is a great memory you have with you and your teammates?

My favorite memory is by far beating Cal Lu this year. I have wanted to beat Cal Lu ever since I started going to ULV and we were finally able to do that this year. Non-volleyball related: my favorite memory is our volleyball retreat 2k15. We really got to know each other on that trip, it was the most amazing thing to just be around 17 girls who I consider all to be really good friends.

What is a great memory you have had during your time at ULV, aside from the volleyball team?

To be honest, I don’t really attend anything that isn’t sports related. All of my good memories at ULV come from volleyball or being with my volleyball teammates. One good thing that came from ULV aside from volleyball was taking the Photography 230 class (Elementary photography) with Anita Bunn. She was the most amazing professor and really sparked my creative photography. I’ve always loved taking pictures, but she pushed me to try different things and use photography as a way to express myself. After taking that class I knew that’s what I wanted to do with my life.