Ava Jahanvash ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Ava Jahanvash has brought being a leader to a new standard. During her time at La Verne, she has been both president of the Associated Students of the University of La Verne and Sigma Kappa Sorority, captain of the debate team, and is involved with many other clubs and organizations on campus. Though she is graduating in the spring, her legacy will continue to live on at La Verne.

Name: Ava Jahanvash

Year: Senior

Major: Political Science & Economics

Hometown: Philips Ranch, California

Three words that best describe you:

Adaptable. Persistent. Positive. 

What is your biggest accomplishment while attending La Verne?

I would say my biggest accomplishment was being able to be president of ASULV, president of Sigma Kappa Sorority, and captain of the Debate team all while still keeping up with a full load of classes and working off-campus. Aside from a tangible accomplishment, I feel gaining the respect of my peers and faculty and administration was my greatest accomplishment. 

How were you able to handle everything you did?

Aside from being very organized and on top of my schedule and responsibilities, it would have to be the people I surrounded myself with. They were there for me and helped me through everything. Without them, I would have had a breakdown on several occasions. Also, staying positive and determined were the things that made me accomplish all that I did.

What is the legacy you wish to leave behind at La Verne?

This is a very tough question. I hope when people think back on my time at La Verne, they will remember me as a compassionate and motivated leader. I hope people always think positively when they think of me. My personal mission is to live my life in such a way that if someone spoke badly of me no one would believe it. As far as a legacy I want to leave, it would be one of inspiration and that anyone is able to do what they set their mind to. There are no limits to what an individual can accomplish, but it is up to them to do it. They must be responsible, accountable and driven, but with the right combination of those things, there is no limit. The limit does not exist. I believe I am a person who does whatever I see needs to be done, no matter how challenging, and I want to inspire others to feel the same way. 

What is your post-graduation plan?

Currently, I am applying to be a Leadership Consultant for Sigma Kappa and I am very hopeful that I get that position. After that, I plan on getting a Masters in Public Policy/ International Development and then working in Washington DC. 

Lauren Crumbaker is currently a sophomore studying communications with an emphasis in public relations at the University of La Verne. Lauren is currently involved in the student government on campus and is a member of Sigma Kappa sorority. After graduating, Lauren plans on becoming an event planner or wedding planner.